AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Phantom Clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The number of clicks that AdWords says I am receiving does not match the number of visitors I am getting to my site. I am getting more AdWord clicks than visitors. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Phantom Clicks

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

When you say visitors, did you mean to say that you are comparing the AdWords data with Google Analytics stats?

If yes, there are several reasons why this could happen because both are different products and work differently. Main reasons are described here:- https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

Let us know if this helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Timothy,

In addition what Pankaj Said, You are comparing the Clicks with Visitors (either it is Unique Users or New users). So comparing the clicks with Visitors would be always misleading. Visitors is always less than clicks.

Its better You can compare Sessions with Clicks, there you can also find the discrepancy in both data, already Pankaj explained well.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The google documentation does not specify a few frequent cases of discrepancy :

1) If you have video ads, you can see the column "clicks". These clicks will always be less than sessions measured by Analytics

2) If you are looking in the billing tab and you have active Video Campaigns, you will see the metric for which you pay as being "clicks" when in fact you pay for "video views".

3) Google analytics code does not have a chance to load and measure during a mobile session.

I would add also a probable cause : your google analytics code could be placed low on the page and not loading during a mobile visit. 

For example if you have a 3 mb page which loads on mobiles in 10 seconds, people will hit the back button probably after 5 seconds and AdWords will record a click but Analytics which does not have time to load will not record the session.

Try comparing the mobile clicks volume from AdWords with the mobile sessions in analytics

If the desktop AdWords clicks match the number of Desktop Analytics sessions but the mobile AdWords clicks do not match the Mobile analytics sessions , you have found your problem.