AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Percent Viewers with Disabled Cookies?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My Analytics and Adwords both seem to be missing large numbers of conversions (maybe 50+%, though it's impossible to measure accurately).

My Analytics time-to-conversion shows 80% of purchases coming on the first visit, when I know that my buyers almost all do significant research prior to buying.

My conclusion is that a large percent of my customers disable cookies or clear them very regularly. What is a "normal" percentage of users that do this? My customers are mostly US, shopping for a high-end pet product (higher earners, moderately internet savvy, mostly 35+ years old, even gender distribution). Would those demographics jive with a high percentage of people who actively avoid tracking?

Thanks!

Re: Percent Viewers with Disabled Cookies?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Donald

The only figures for that kind of information that I was able to find are rather old and indicate that around 10% of visitors disable their cookies (based on one website's experience, which might not represent a significant base http://smorgasbork.com/component/content/article/84-a-study-of-internet-users-cookie-and-javascript-... )

In a post Snowden world that percentage might be larger because people are more paranoid (i certainly am Smiley Happy) yet I don't think 50% of All people disable their cookies. 

That 50% missing audience might be due to other factors

Have you checked that the analytics code is correctly intalled in all you pages?

If you track conversions based on a URL visit be aware that the goal triggers can be case sensitive, i.e. if you specify a goal URL as "/thankyou.html" but the client is taken to "/Thankyou.html" the system might not register it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jorge,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that 50% seems high, I'm just trying to figure out an explanation that makes sense given the data I have.

I also realize that I didn't do a great job of clearly explaining the situation. Google Analytics successfully tracks 100% (or darn near) of my ecommerce transactions, so I know that code is correct. Also, both Google Analytics and Adwords track at least some conversions from my ads, so I know that code must not be completely bad.

I also know with certainty that there are Adwords conversions that aren't being attributed to that channel. I have unique contact forms on my landing pages. There are customers who have contacted us via that channel have subsequently purchased, and those conversions haven't been attributed to paid advertising in either Analytics or Adwords. This has only happened a couple of times, but it indicates that there are at least SOME paid ad conversions that aren't being tracked as such.

Other data points to a large portion of paid ad conversions not being correctly tracked as such. We've tried Google Ads twice in the last six months. The time was over two weeks in November. While it was our busy season anyways, those two weeks showed revenue 25%-50% bigger than any other week ever for us (our code was wrong, so we couldn't track ad conversions). We tried again (with conversion codes) the first two weeks in February, and had abnormally good weeks, even though the ads showed only 3 conversions. Bottom line is, everything but the metrics suggest that the ads are effective.

This made me wonder about disabled cookies, and brings me to the point I made in my initial post about time-to-conversion. Everything other than Google Analytics suggests that customers research our product (and others) for days to weeks before purchasing. Google Analytics says 80% of customers buy on their first session, and I feel strongly that number is 4X too high.

Disabled cookies / people who clean their cookies regularly would explain both of those situations, but only if a large proportion of our users behave like that (which itself seems at least somewhat unlikely).

Am I missing something? Is there an explanation that fits the facts better than the cookies hypothesis?

I appreciate any theories... I'm wracking my brain trying to figure this one out.

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Donald

May I ask what's the url of your site?