AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Passing the keyword and ad info for each unique visitor?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to be able to see what unique keyword and ad that was used for each visitor I generate through Google Adwords. How can I do this? Would I have to use the Google API?

Would I have to create a unique Ad Group for each unique ad and keyword combination? (Is there a limit to the number of Ad Groups you can run in an account?)

Using unique url's, cookies and hidden fields on my webforms, I want to store the keyword and ad that was clicked by that person who is filling out the webform.

Is this possible? If so what would it take.

My apologies if this is an amateur question. Thanks. -Brady

PS. - Some of my conversions take place over the phone and I cannot track the keyword source of that lead relying on google conversion tracking.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Passing the keyword and ad info for each unique visitor?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Brady and welcome to the Community!

I think all the data you want is available in the default interfaces (you'll have to go to Analytics for some of it) but you'll have to massage that data to get exactly what you want.  For example you can report upon clicks by Keyword and you can set the "Ad Content" as a secondary dimension in this report.  By default this is the first line of the Ad but if you use custom URLs with the utm_content tag this'll show up there as well.  (All this is in Analytics, by the way).

Have a play with the URL Builder and make sure your Analytics Account is properly linked and I think you'll be able to get all you need.

Can I ask why you're interested in this level of detail?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I want to complete Jon's answer with this info :

"Would I have to create a unique Ad Group for each unique ad and keyword combination?" - No

"Is there a limit to the number of Ad Groups you can run in an account?" : Yes : 20,000 ad groups per campaign

More info about that down in this page https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704396?hl=en

The Api limits are these :

https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/limits

If by "what unique keyword" you mean "search term" the analytics menu path to see those is : Traffic Sources / Advertising / Adwords / Matched search query

Google recommend this blog article for understanding the extraction of useful data from analytics

http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/google-analytics-tutorial-8-valuable-tips-to-hustle-with-data/#adword...

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

If you by "unique keyword" actually mean "search query" (and I think that search queries is what you really should look at) you need to create a custom report with Metrics: Goal completion and Dimension: Matched Search Query and Subdimension: Ad Content (there are several ways of doing this).

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Brady,

Use manual tagging to get the keyword that was triggered and the ad copy. You can leave auto-tagging enabled for your account. Do not use the utm_  variable names or Analytics will double report your activity.

Add ?keyword={keyword}&content={creative}. When the visitor lands on your page, get the values of keyword and content from the query string and assign those values to your form fields.

The drawback to using {creative} is it returns the id of the ad. That id is not visible anywhere but in the API. You can, instead, insert your own identifier for the ad.

Best of Luck,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords