4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Pass Phone Number from Ad to Website Landing Page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm wanting to know if it's possible to use one landing page and have it 'show' the telephone number I've used in different ads through AdWords?

e.g.

call only ad '1' has 555-555-1111 as the number.. can the landing page be passed this number so that when google checks the verification URL the number on the landing page matches the ad.

call only ad '2' has 555-555-2222 as the number.. can the same landing page be passed this number based on URL or any other paramenter.

I'm basically wanting to use one landing page for one keyword. That keyword is part of multiple local campaigns for a service in different cities with different local numbers attached to them.

Campaign 1 City 1 has keyword 'under water basket weaving' with local number 555-555-1111 pointing to weaveyourself.com/baskets

Campaign 1 City 2 has keyword 'under water basket weaving' with local number 555-555-2222 pointing to weaveyourself.com/baskets

I want google to see the appropriate 'local' number on that shared landing page so I don't have to create hundreds of landing pages JUST so I can have a different local number.

Any Idea how I can achieve this? It's probably simple but I haven't been able to find guidance on it anywhere so far.

Thanks in advance

Simon

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Nope;

Not sure I understand the scenario here.

You have no control on the phone numbers googles  uses. Further, Google recommends not to use it as a business number. And, as long as Google provides you with reporting about conversions (i.e calls) why  woulds you prefer to use the same number?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Maybe this will help.

Ad example (including my own static local number '555-555-1111'):

Call: 555-555-1111

weaveyourself.com/baskets

Looking for help with weaving?

Call and talk to us today!

I want that '1111' local number to 'show' on the landing page.

If I have a second ad (example, including my own static local number '555-555-2222'):

Call: 555-555-2222

weaveyourself.com/baskets

Looking for help with weaving?

Call and talk to us today!

I want that '2222' local number to 'show' on the same landing page.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

The call extension number (which will be shown only on desktops- on mobile an icon is shown) is different than the number shown on the webpage. This is the technical structure of these features. They are not linked.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using call only ads, and only advertising on mobiles.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

So, in ads on mobile no phone is shown, anyway. (Unless rarely in special formats, with location  extensions ) only icon is shown...

Highlighted

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

With call only ads if anyone clicks anywhere on the ad the phone opens up the phone app with the number pre-entered and the option to place the call. No-one goes to the landing page - or am I missing something?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@stickleback;

Agree. The campaign  setting and structure are not clear

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Simon,

I don't know a whole lot about this. I thought you were required to use a Google forwarding number in call only ads. A script is added to your website that changes the displayed phone number to the Google forwarding number if the visitor came from AdWords either the current visit or a previous visit within the conversion window for your site.

Here's what might work for you. Set up a custom tracking template. Add a custom variable for the phone number. Include that custom variable in the final destination, do not use a utm_* named variable for this. When the user first hits your page after clicking on your ad, read that variable from the query string, use that number for the script that displays the phone number on your page. Also, set a local cookie that carries the phone number value, set to expire in the same number of days as your conversion window. When the visitor returns, read that cookie to get the phone number to pass to Google to get the forwarding number.

It will go something like this:

look for phone number in query string (this will be the first visit after a click on your ad)

if not found

look for the phone number cookie.

if phone number is found using either method,

store the phone number to a local Javascript variable name phoneNumber

run the script to change the phone number display on the page

_googWcmGet(target,phoneNumber,options)

See https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883?hl=en for more details on the function.

If no phone number is found

this is not an AdWords source, display default phone number

Wrap all this up in a function that you call from the body onload event.

This is a rough outline of the process. Be sure to completely test this out before going live. You will need to click on the click-to-call ad to test this. It should work.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Experts in the Topic
stickleback
petebardo
MosheTLV