AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Paid traffic and organic traffic are correlated on Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

On Analytics, I realized that my organic search traffic is directly proportional to the paid search traffic. Around 75% of my website's traffic is from paid search and on a day when I had to stop the adwords campaign, organic visits went down too. 

Is there a reason for Google to count some of my Adwords traffic as organic? I checked the number of clicks on my Adwords account and paid traffic on Analytics, they are exactly the same. So the problem is not just with Analytics, it also includes Adwords.

Please help,

Tahsin

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Paid traffic and organic traffic are correlated on Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;
The two systems (organic vs paid) are 2 independent systems. So if coralation exists (an this has to be verifies during a period of time - to be statistically significant)  - -the reason has to be looked at another place...
Paid and organic use different ranking algorithms.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Tahsin

Please ensure that you have enabled the auto-tagging through Adwords interface. If not, login to Adwords, go to the gear on top of your screen on the right to click to Account Access and set auto tagging to YES. Also, try to link Adwords to Analytics if you haven't done it already. Here is the procedure https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704341?hl=en

If you have already done this, one explanation could be that the visitors have already visited your site via a specific Browser let's say Chrome and they haven't cleaned their cookies and cache. Google analytics attributes the visit to the source the user first came through. So, if they had already clicked on your ad within 30 days, you will still see them as CPC even though they are direct. After 30 days, you will be able to see them through direct traffic. If you are using incognito window you are not going to have this problem, since no cookies are hold.

Best,

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My accounts are already linked and auto tagging is enabled.

I believe that you are really close to the solution. You mentioned that if they clicked on my ad in 30 days and haven't cleared their cache and cookies, they are counted as CPC even if they visit directly. I think the solution is vice versa: If these people click my ads again in a specific period of time, they are counted as organic, not CPC. If this is the right scenario, then its possible to understand why I lost organic traffic too when I did not have ads showing. Thats because these cached/cookied people did not see my ads on those days and I lost them too.

Is this possible?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Tahsin;
Let's clarify a few points:
Not to confuse clicks and conversions
For conversions:

• AdWords will attribute the conversion  to the  last Ad clicked.  (Assuming  conversion is within 30 days.)
  • Analytics will attribute to the last indirect source.

If the last  (conversion) click is attributed to Adwords, and the conversion happened  more than 30 days ago (after the click), Analytics will still attribute  the click to Adwords, but Adwords will not "register" / attribute the click.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tahsin A
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Tahsin,

I have seen that if a user has clicked your ad and revisits your site without cleaning cookies, the medium is attributed to cpc even if the user visits directly your site the second time. Probably this work vice versa but i haven't tested it to see. Take a look at this article https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012042?hl=en . Maybe it will help you a little.

If you have measured that the the lost organic traffic was close to the clicks you would receive and apparently the traffic that you would have if your ads were running then this would be probably the case.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Tahsin,

I'll throw in a little something else here.

First, Google swears up and down that return visits form a bookmark should not be counted as paid traffic, regardless of the state of the cookie.

But now on to something different. When your ad appears on the same page as a top ranked organic listing for the same keyword, the 2 tend to enhance each other. Appearance of your ad on a SERP can increase the click-through on the organic search link on that same page. It's at least a possible explanation of what you are seeing.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords