AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Paid Search reported as Organic Search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

For one of our clients, the paid search originating from Desktops is showing up as Organic in Analytics, while the paid search from Mobile is correctly shown in Analytics. Could anybody shed some light why this is happening?

Some background: The Adwords and Analytics are linked, the auto-tagging is 'on'.

Some time ago, we did a redirect from the earlier website (single page) to the new website (multiple pages). The gclid is being picked up correctly.

Thanks for your help. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arif K
May 2016

Re: Paid Search reported as Organic Search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again to all the guys for their replies ... we did try a lot of them, but finally cracked the solution .... our developer did the following:

This issue was due to the Advanced Url Management settings inside DNN platform.
Advance Url Management changes any url to SEO friendly url with the help of regular expression.
We made changes to the regular expression of Advance URL management by installing this module https://dnnurlmanagement.codeplex.com/ and followed this guide :
http://www.dnnsoftware.com/answers/google-adwords-and-advanced-url-management

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Arif K

Well you certainly covered all the original things I was going to suggest.  Is mobile and desktop going to the same site? Like is it a responsive site or do you have a mobile version?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks David for your interest ... its a responsive website ...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello, Arif.

Please test the following scenario:
- pick an ad final URL that is not mobile-preferred.
- click it; in the Analytics' real time reports it should come up as direct traffic
- get the same URL and append ?gclid=test to it, or &gclid=test if the ad already contains some query strings
- if any redirect happens, please make sure that the gclid stays in the URL
- Analytics should show google as source and cpc as medium

Analytics never registers traffic as organic if it detects a gclid=something in the URL. If the gclid is something like test, it will show "Campaign" under traffic source. If you use a valid gclid, it will show "Paid".

But it will never show "Organic" if it picks up a gclid in the URL.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Arif, how are things?

If mobile is working and desktop doesn't, there's probably something happening to the gclid. My guess from what you've told is that the redirect is causing conflict with GCLID

Here are some things to check and undestand?
- Everything was working fine when you were using the single page? Does the problem begin AFTER the redirect?
- Does the mobile website also have redirects? (if mobile doesn't have redirect, the redirect on desktop is probably the problem)
- Are you guys using manual UTM on the URL?
- Even though GCLID is appearing on the URL, you need to analyse the user flow to check if there isn't any scripts blocking google servers to receive gclid information, or even something with the redirect that might change the GCLID somehow

You should be able to test by grabbing some real GCLID (by clicking on your ad), and then, open a new tab, go to your website url, add the gclid manually to the URL and check the Real-time in Analytics to see if this visit comes as Paid or Organic. If it's paid, the gclid is being blocked somewhere.

Hope this helps.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Leandro ... we did manage to get the solution ....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Calin, we did manage to get the solution .... I have posted it in the same chain. Thanks again.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arif K
May 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again to all the guys for their replies ... we did try a lot of them, but finally cracked the solution .... our developer did the following:

This issue was due to the Advanced Url Management settings inside DNN platform.
Advance Url Management changes any url to SEO friendly url with the help of regular expression.
We made changes to the regular expression of Advance URL management by installing this module https://dnnurlmanagement.codeplex.com/ and followed this guide :
http://www.dnnsoftware.com/answers/google-adwords-and-advanced-url-management

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Alright. So it was actually a redirect during which the gclid was lost ...
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.