AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Paid Search (medium=CPC) visit generates many Paid Search and Organic Search Sessions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been troubleshooting an issue for a few days now that we have been seeing on our site (www.neighborhoods.com) where when a user comes from a Paid Search, that visit will be tracked as a Paid Search session within GA. However, after a few page views or even events that are triggered, the user will establish a new session within GA as Organic Search. From here, the user may navigate further and establish another new session as Paid Search.

Obviously this is problematic as each user visit, of which the duration is no more than 5 to 15 minutes (which is well below the 30 minute duration GA uses), will spawn anywhere from 3 to 10 sessions thus producing a false average time/session and pageviews/session as well as an incorrect number of paid sessions and organic sessions.

I've been using WASP, GA Debug and Tag Assistant to troubleshoot the issue but I'm unable to find anything obvious. Further, I can't even identify any recognizable pattern around the session hoping.

Our current setup is an SPA that uses GTM to inject GA.

Thank you in advance for any help, Collin

1 Expert replyverified_user

Paid Search (medium=CPC) visit generates many Paid Search and Organic Search Sessions

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Collin B

Interesting problem you are having.  When looking for a pattern, did you try isolating exit pages by medium? 

I'm not up to speed on SPA, but I'm thinking it has to do something with your issue.  Is GTM the first thing that loads on page load? I see your site uses a lot of Google Maps features on some pages, and I'm wondering if something with how all this loads is confusing GA.  

When this occurs, is the new session always Organic?  
Does GA recognize it as from a returning visitor?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply, David. Here are some thoughts from your reply and some answers to your questions:

I thought it could be something with how GTM is configured or loading as well, right now GTM does appear to be first thing loaded. I don't have much more than surface knowledge of GTM and GA so I am struggling to figure out what I might have mis-configured or have incorrectly configured on our custom event dispatching.

Additionally, I never thought about it being a Google Map issue/conflict because even if you enter the site on our home page (no map) and then navigate to another page, that second or third page view might result in a Organic Search, and then the 6th page view might be Paid Search and Google Maps is always loaded after all page content so I wouldn't expect it to conflict. Do you have any suggestions on how to debug that? With all tools I've been using I can't identify any issues.

The order of sessions instantiated for every user that comes from an ad source (medium=CPC) is always:

1) Paid Search

2) Organic Search

3) Paid Search

4) Organic Search, and so on, until they leave the site.

GA does recognize returning users properly. For instance, I might see the above chain of events for 1 user over the course of 5 days (multiple sessions per visit per day).

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Do the address searches inside your site use Google Site Search? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, they do not. The only third party application's we have on our site are integrated via GTM and they are:

* Fullstory

* Bing UET (ad/tracking or something)

* crazyegg (UX click tracking)

* Re-targeting

* Optimizely (A/B testing)

I have a hunch that this may have something to do with timing or session configuration but I have no real way to identify either. Any thoughts?