AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Paid Analytics conversions do not show up in AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I have used Google Analytics to create Goals, then imported those Goals into Google AdWords. However, while Analytics is showing several paid conversions, those same conversions are not showing up as conversions in AdWords.

Analytics not only shows conversions, but it even attributes them to specific AdWords campaigns. It also shows the correct Click and Cost data, so there is no doubt that AdWords and Analytics are correctly linked.

Most frustratingly, the lack of conversion reporting in AdWords is inconsistent. AdWords says I had 3 conversions in the last 30 days - Analytics says I had 9 (paid). All three of my conversion actions have one recorded conversion in AdWords, even though they've each been triggered by paid users multiple times. Which makes no sense - surely they should either work, or not work?

The conversions themselves are all the most basic type - clicking on a phone number, filling out a contact form, and clicking on the email address. There's nothing complicated about the implementation, no tricky eCommerce stuff going on, or anything like that.

The website is murraystreeservices.com.au. If someone could have a look and let me know what the issues might be it would be appreciated.

Cheers

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Paid Analytics conversions do not show up in AdWords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Joe,
Sorry to hear you're having problems. This is something I've experienced and sometimes still run into it.

Sounds like the accounts are linked and linked properly. That's fantastic.

The answer to this is actually in the question. " All three of my conversion actions have one recorded conversion in AdWords, even though they've each been triggered by paid users multiple times. Which makes no sense - surely they should either work, or not work?"

This is normal behaviour and is actually how AdWords is supposed to work. AdWords is counting unique conversions while GA is showing "all conversions". This is actually expected behaviour. You simply need to change the way the conversion is counted. You can find details on how to do this as well as some explanations and demos here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3438531?hl=en

finally, you might want to know that because of time, sample size, date range and reporting sync schedules, there's almost ALWAYS going to be discrepancies between AdWords and GA data. Usually, AdWords is more accurate as it doesn't use a sample of data (which is one of it's biggest assets to be honest).

In a situation like yours, I'd actually consider setting up a separate conversion manually in AdWords instead of importing the conversion from GA. While the reporting in GA is superior, the conversion data in AdWords is pretty exact where it can be skewed in GA. In fact, GA is plagued with spam bots that trigger goal and action based conversions. (eCommerce transactions are not effected)

Hope that's been somewhat useful.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Joe,

How long ago did you start importing the Analytics goals into AdWords? AdWords doesn't pull historical data; it only starts pulling data from the day you started to import.

If you only started importing recently (a week or two ago), but your Analytics goals have been set up longer, then depending on the time period viewed, there will be a discrepancy. Is there a discrepancy if you run the reports strictly from the import date, and don't include any time periods before that?

Thank you

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joe,

Although the systems are both from Adwords, they can measure different things.

1. Imported Goals 

The current day and the last day on Adwords will always be with 0 conversions. Adwords takes 2 entire days to receive conversion information from Analytics

2. Different kind of day attribution

Adwords attribute conversion for the campaign that the user first interacted with, and the first day. So if a user clicked on your ads on Monday, doesn't convert, and enter again by Thursday and then convert, attribution will go to Monday. 

GA will do the opposite. It will record the conversion on the LAST click of the user, so last campaign and last day.

3. Different volumes

As default, Analytics measure conversions as in the earlier day would call "MANY PER CLICKS". So if ONE user generates multiple conversions, Analytics will count all of them.

Adwords records both types, 1-conversion-per-user and multiple-conversion-per-user, which are called "Converted Clicks" and "Conversions". As default, Adwords usually shows you the "Converted clicks" which are "1-conversion-per-user", so this can differ from Analytics. More about this here:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/From-the-Community-Team/A-New-Way-To-Count-Conversions-in-Ad...

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Dave_Davis

I have three conversion actions: Contact Form Submission, Click to Call, and Click to Email. For your suggestion to be the case - that a small number of paid users have triggered multiple conversions - would mean that at a minimum, all three of my AdWords converters have completed each of those goals once. Highly unlikely, to the point that I'll dismiss this as a possibility.

@Alexander S

I have been importing data for a long time. To give some historical perspective, if I look at the last three months of data in both Analytics and AdWords, I get 22 and 10 paid conversions, respectively. So this has been a consistent problem for a while now. I believe this also rules out your suggestion @leandrofm that maybe there's just a delay in AdWords reporting.

Generally, I do expect and accept that there will be discrepancies between GA and AdWords; However the discrepancy usually comes at the Analytics end, not the AdWords one. When AdWords is failing to record 45% of the conversions it's supposedly getting, though, that seems to me like there must be a problem there and not just one of those situations where you shrug and say "oh well, it's never completely accurate". 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Joe,
Why don't you check the conversion paths (goal flow) and see exactly what pages each visitor who converted actually took. Instead of dismissing what I'm saying, why not eliminate the possibility?

It also doesn't matter if one or all did all three steps. It could be that one of the AdWords conversions triggered all of them multiple times. Do you have any code (GTM) preventing the triggering of the goal multiple times? Could there be something wrong with your site that's triggering multiple goals by a single visit? What's the time difference between them?

What happens when you run through the conversion process yourself, from ad click to conversion, all while watching real time analytics?

What does the AdWords "many per conversion" metric say when you switch to that?

And I wasn't shrugging it off saying that it's never completely accurate, I'm saying that you should be aware of it in future. If you're taking an attempt (voluntarily, out of my own time) to help you and offer you advice as a shrug off, well, I'm sorry I wasted your time.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Dave_Davis

You seem to have taken offense to my last post... totally not my intention to suggest anyone was shrugging me off. I was just saying that, given the nature of the website in question (a tradesman's website for tree lopping) it's extraordinarily unlikely that a single person is going to call, then email, then submit a quick contact form - let alone do all three multiple times.

The goal flow shows the standard mix you'd expect from a mix of people - not what you'd expect to see from one person. For example, the Contact Form Submission goal in Analytics reports 4 paid conversions over the past 30 days, across 4 different pages, and from two different campaigns (Paid Search and Display). Meanwhile AdWords - for the same period - shows only 1 Contact Form submission. It just doesn't add it up for it to be one guy. And just to totally rule it out - all the AdWords conversions actually are set up as "All" rather than "Unique", so AdWords should be counting repeat hits from one person if that were the case.

When I run through the conversion myself, real-time works as expected, immediately triggering a conversion in Analytics (although I have not yet tested "converting" via AdWords, as my client's CPC is relatively high and they're on a shoestring budget as is). Like I said these are the most basic conversion metrics possible, just "user clicked a link, that's a conversion", really not much to go wrong at that step.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Joe,

It seems odd that you're having a huge difference...since you have Adwords linked with Analytics, the only thing that comes in mind is the attribution that i've mentioned on items 2 and 3, even that you've set Adwords to measure All conversions...

When did this big change started to happen? You may want to see if this is a default behavior or if this match with some optimization and changes you did on your account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@leandrofm

The account has been tracking conversions almost perfectly accurately (the AdWords and Analytics numbers match) right up until June. Then on June 13th there's the first discrepancy - AdWords misses a Mobile Call conversion that Analytics reports. Then it just keeps slipping from there.

Bringing up the Change History in AdWords shows no changes made at all in June. None in May either. The account's been running on autopilot for a while (I was actively working on it almost all last year and I've got it pretty finely tuned by now). I've got no records of any changes made to the site itself, either. It's like things just stopped working on their own.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Strange...maybe you'll have to dig a little deeper and check things like amount of unique visitors to see if any increase could justify that difference, or change on user behavior inside your website...

If your account is mostly on auto-pilot with no big changes, two thinks comes in mind:

1. Some plataform error (Adwords or GA or maybe both?)
2. Behavior changes on your website (maybe an indicator of some market/segment trend yet to come?

Tricky to tell...