AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Paid 100's for not even an enquiry

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I noticed in my bill I had paid 100's for Adwords which surprised me as didn't notice the traffic or any enquiries.

Looking into this the screen I was monitoring Adwords from didn't include the clicks I was getting from Ads placed on peoples websites.  

In fact I'm not sure we have even had these hits.  I have a livehelp program that helps me monitor traffic.  And I just cannot see the Adwords traffic.  Do Adwords clicks have an evidence that they have come from Adwords, i.e Adwords as the referring site?

Thanks for any guidance I might get Smiley Happy  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Paid 100's for not even an enquiry

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Alex,

When I read your question, it looks to me that you use your own system to do website tracking.

Did you look in your Adwords account to see what is happening? It is not clear for me if you did that.

If you use search ads on google, then the google domain is the referring site. If you use display network ads, then the websites where your ad is placed, is the referring site.

You can use tagging to see where referral links are coming from. In Adwords you can use auto tagging and linking with Google Analitics to get more information about Adwords traffic.

Auto-tagging automatically  help you track your ad performance in tracking programs.

If you have multiple ads that link to the same page on your website, the gclid parameter helps to get the information which ad was clicked for each visit to your site.

In Google Analytics  you can see which AdWords keywords brought a visitor to your site, which campaign that keyword was from, and how much that click cost.

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Alex B,

If you have auto-tagging enabled, all AdWords clicks will carry a gclid value in the query string. If you do not have auto-tagging enabled, use manual tagging and add a tag to identify the visit as from AdWords. Looking at the referrer data for AdWords clicks is not reliable.

All AdWords visits will have a referrer of either Google or DoubleClick. Visits from the DN are not an exception, the referrer will not be the site that displayed your ad.

All clicks go to Google first to record the click, then get forwarded to your landing page. You can include {placement} in your URL to find the site that hosted your ad, but not all domains provide that data.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I share the same situation. I am not sure if search-click means person doing the search saw your adwords ad, clicked on the ad link (sitelink) to land on your website page. You may use Google Analytics to verify this. Unless there a total mismatch between the keyword and the website, one expects some action on the part of the user. The reasonable conversion rate will be somewhere between 10% to 30% if landed on the contact page.