AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

PPC conversion attribution and attribution model

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everybody,

I've a simple question. I know that AdWords conversions are based on the time of last ad click before conversion, not the conversion itself.

Let's say: on 1st December I click on the ad but I won't convert. On 2nd December I click on the same add and I finally convert.

1) When the conversion is going to be assigned? On the 1st December (when the first click on ppc campaign has started the ppc conversion path) or 2nd December (the last clic on ppc campaign before conversion) ?

2) Does the attribution model influence how n° of conversions are counted? Or does just define how conversion value is going to be distributed along the ppc conversion path?

Thanks,

Paolo

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
December 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree with you MosheTLV. I tested the linear and time decay attribution models, they actually return decimal notation conversion value! So, for every click that led to conversion, a "portion" of conversion is given... so you'll have a count of 1,33 or 3,50 conversions for instance. Feels pretty weird but that solved my initial question, thank you!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

In Adwords "classic attribution"  model the convention is assigned to the last click. If you clicked twice, and converted twice,  this would be counted as two conversions (one per click).

Read more:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6259715?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your reply MosheTLV,
I read through the support guide, It seems pretty straightforward. I just wonder how does the conversion count work in linear and time decay attribution though.

For instance:

1st day: click on ppc campaign, no conversion

2nd day: click on same ppc campaign, no conversion

3rd day: click on same campaign again, user converted

I would say:

Last click attribution: on 3rd day

First click attribution: on 1st day

Linear attribution: ??? (maybe converted on 3rd, value is distribuited along click/keywords?)

Time decay attribution: ??? (maybe converted on 3rd, value of click/keywords is distribuited along time?)

Still can't grasp the concept behind the conversion count those last attribution models.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I either use the first or last click attribution. For a good analysis, there should be a single click for which the conversion is assigned.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
December 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree with you MosheTLV. I tested the linear and time decay attribution models, they actually return decimal notation conversion value! So, for every click that led to conversion, a "portion" of conversion is given... so you'll have a count of 1,33 or 3,50 conversions for instance. Feels pretty weird but that solved my initial question, thank you!