AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

PPC Analysis & Context for Clients

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rather then just providing numbers I really want to provide more insights and context of my PPC efforts to my clients. Any suggestions on learning to provide context and data to help drive business decisions? I want to be able to tell a story. Thanks!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: PPC Analysis & Context for Clients

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
Hmm... This is really interesting, since Google, in general,  is a "data driven" organization, and  hence, Adwords  is a "data analysis" driven systems.

The system is designed to provide the user with tools to analyze the campaign data and make rational / logical decisions based on that. (By the way, all of Google is aimed towards decision making based on data analysis.) "instincts and feelings" are decision making methods of the "old world of adverting" - which is gone. (Or almost gone...)
What I would suggest ids to provide your client with an analysis of the campaign, and based on that to open a strategic discussion (with the client) about targeting methods available.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author YoshG
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
A lot of insight can be gained by breaking down the data to show peoples behavior. The best way to prove and communicate your findings is with testing. I find nothing helps me understand what my target market is looking for faster than ad copy testing.

You may also want to take a look a the most profitable keywords (or highest converting) and create a theory as to why those are performing so well. Is it because they are in top ad positions, or are they highly targeted? Is it something to do with the ad copy? What about those keywords compared to other keywords in the account that may also be highly targeted? What are the differences?
Once you can develop ideas on how to answer those questions, test and watch the results. For example, if all the keywords that are doing really well have "Free" in the D1, try testing ads elsewhere in the account with that same D1. If results are similar, you know you have found something valuable.
(I always run at least 2 ads in an adgroup, never pause all of them at the same time, and make a note to return to the ad group I am doing testing in to review the results later)

What you can communicate from that test is that searchers are responding to ads with "Free" in them more than others. You can make the assumption that the people who are interested in your product/service are also price couscious, or looking to try something for free before they buy (or whtever your offer is like). Little differences in ad copy can lead to really big wins and insights. (For example, we tested using "training" vs. "classes" and found people responded much better to "training" in our ads. Now we use "training" everywhere it's appropriate.)

Some other ideas are:
If you keywords are doing well because they are in top ad positions, try some bid experiments on keywords that are not in top positions to see if they respond in the same way. Some advertisers may even find that they do best in the 2nd or 3rd position depending on their perceived value.
Keep an eye on search queries that are matching to your highest volume keywords. you can learn a lot about how the searcher uses language to describe what they are looking for and it can be very different than how you describe your service/product. Take cues from search queries with a lot of volume and see it you want to adjust the keywords/adcopy/landing page copy you are currently using for better connection to the searcher.

If you are on the display network, investigate the type of websites you are appearing on that are converting the best for you. Try to understand the audience that website attracts and piece together the audience's other interests, demographic, problems, etc.

Be sure to use #'s to back up your claims. If you don't have the numbers, but your instinct is telling you something, set up a specific test to prove your theory.

Happy hunting!

Also, a couple of informative sites to follow:
http://searchengineland.com/
http://certifiedknowledge.org/blog/
http://whichtestwon.com/
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author YoshG
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

This is a great question and I think the solution is more a set of guidelines than a specific process. We have applied these guidelines to distinguish our PPC services with very active and happy clients worldwide.

Some highlights from a recent post I made on the topic of how successful agencies tell the best stories.

• PPC data is boring to most clients, and you have more impact by creating a framework to win and then telling your story!
  • How? Understand client goals, product cycle, seasonality; educate clients on KPIs, then design campaigns from the bottom up (analyze data) and tell the story from the top down (show performance);
  • Consistently show your dedication and expertise; one way to do this is to show command (KPI improvement) of branded, non-branded, and compete coverage (across geos) and performance in terms of client goals;
  • Use clear and amusing ways to convey the story of your work, including visualizations, screenshots, and competitive intelligence data;
  • Always show performance and progress OR clearly explain adverse factors or obstacles to the goals; drama is OK if you are in control

As part of a 5 post series, another point is that AdWords report templates are bad for business because those are locked into specific KPIs and the data alone does not deliver a story that is in touch with client goals. Insights are key!

Regards,

Bejan A.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm a little late here, but was out of work for a while. Fabulous suggestions and insight. This is very helpful and most of all practical. Thank you so much.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Best of luck, YoshG!