AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Other Search Term Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI,

I was looking at my campaign performance for last month. For be Broad Match Modifier Campaign more than 90% of the impressions are attributed to "Other Search Terms". 

For other search terms my CTR is quite bad around 0.05%

I asked my account manager as well but he is giving me diplomatic answers like add more specific keywords, add negatives etc. But if I don't have the data about search terms for my campaign then how can i add negatives.

How can i get data for other search terms so that i can work on those terms and add negative keywords.

Thanks,

Akash

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Other Search Term Report

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Akash S;

" The terminology "Other search terms" refers to search queries Google does not want to disclose, which might imply user behavior. I interpret that, "as might  imply a user's location or other personal information"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I agree with @MosheTLV, and in addition to what he said, Google says -

Keep in mind that you’ll only see search terms that were used by people at least 24 hours ago and have either received clicks in the past 30 days or were searched for by a significant number of people. Any search terms that did not meet this criteria will be summed up in the 'Other search terms' row. - Source 

Ideally, you should give it some more time to see if the data starts reflecting?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Akash,

This is one of the downfalls of using Broad Match keywords. The idea of casting a wide net to catch search queries is great, but if you're really reaching very far and wide, it's very likely that you're going to amass large quantities of impressions for search queries that you would not likely bid on.

If these search queries are not relevant to your ad copies and products/services that are being promoted, you're not going to get very many clicks. Without click data, these search queries, with sprinkles of what Moshe mentioned, generally end up in the 'Other Terms' row. Waiting may not produce very much, I prefer to take a more proactive approach and I do this when creating any campaigns that contain any form of broad match terms.

I hate to say it but your account manager is not just being diplomatic, that is the correct approach. As Google mentions, more refined match types are a great idea, as well as adding more negatives.  You need to do some research, use logic, ingenuity, common sense and creativity to identify negatives in some cases. You know the old standard saying, "Think outside the box."

Here are a few ways to find negatives without seeing search terms:

Run your keyword lists through the keyword planner and see what kind of keywords appear and eliminate themes and terms that could be triggered that are irrelevant.

Use Google's autocomplete/suggested search to find popular/common search queries that could be detrimental.  There are some great tips here on how to do that.

Check the internet for common negative keyword lists to use - definitely review any lists you find as sometimes they will contain terms that you really shouldn't be adding as negatives.  Think: free, job, jobs, salary, pdf, video, cheap, ebay, craigslist etc...  Some of these lists you can find are quite extensive and can be quite helpful in creating detailed negative keyword lists.

Finally, you have to use common sense.  We've all searched the web a billion times and if you stop for a minute and brainstorm how your keywords could match additional/external/outlying search queries, you'll likely come up with some ideas that you can then use in the other steps I mentioned above.

These steps are fundamental when using modified or regular broad match keywords in your campaigns, a must have, IMO.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This seams like some very shady business practice from Google boardering on a scam. If I am paying you God knows what per click, why should I not have the right to see what people are clicking on to get to me so I can ensure its relevant. I think this is the crux of googles licence to print money.  Adwords is so complex that most people never fully understand what they are paying for. Agencies managing Adwords have a vested interest in keeping budget up as they are on a percentage.  I have been in the search terms report daily and for whatever time period had passed it only wants to show me less then 10% of the actual clicks keywords. So it's charging you for something but you don't know what you are getting. If my accountant or lawyer said I have spent the last hour doing bits and bobs, I  would ask what bits and bobs, it he said I can't really tell you. You would say well in that case I am not paying you. But when he is the only accountant or lawyer in the world and you need him to run your business, does that make it right?

I welcome a response from Google to this or perhaps my lawyer should spend a few hours doing what he is paid for and come back to me as to what he achieves?