AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Optimizing Display URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

using keywords or words from text ads in display url. For ex. www.domain.com/keyword. If a user actually typed in this url they would get a 404 message. Not feasible to create a bunch of redirects. Is this a valid concern by my IT folks? Or ok with regard to Google best practices? destination url works fine.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Optimizing Display URL

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
You are confusing between the display URL and the destination URL. The "keyword" is added at the end of the display URL.
Read this comprehensive discussion  on the topic, by @PPCBossman . It  covers the topic 
Dynamic Keyword Insertion in URLs

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually, I'm not confusing the two. When reviewing some of my text ads, my IT guy was concerned that if someone actually typed in my display url they would get a 404. if someone clicks on my ad they are going to go to the destination url which is fine (no error). Should there be any concern? I'm thinking not but wanted to check.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Ellen W,

I will sometimes type in the display URL of an add just to look at the landing page. I don't use a lot of keywords in the display URL, but when I do, I setup a redirect to the intended landing page. Looking at the last 30 Days in Analytics, I don't see any evidence that anyone typed in the display URL. I think it may be a non-issue.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords