AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Only a % of Matched Search Queries being shown - Why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google Analytics is only showing a % of Matched Search Queries for my Adwords PPC traffic (roughly 80%).

100% of the matched search queries used to be available but now you can't see all the search queries that the user is typing into Google before they click on the ad.  Why is this?  We pay a lot of money for these clicks and should be able to view this information as it's an important source for negative keywords.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Only a % of Matched Search Queries being shown - Why?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Emma, 

Just to clarify, are we talking about Google Analytics' AdWords -> Search Queries Report OR Search Engine Optimization -> Queries Report ?

Best,

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Joshua

It's Google Analytics' AdWords -> Search Queries

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Emma,

From my understanding Google has started to restrict some keyword data for some time now. In regard to only receiving 80% of all match queries I can only speculate:

• Try running the same query in AdWords and see if there is any discrepancy. 
  • Try looking over the Search Engine Optimization Query report and compare it with the AdWords Search Query report for additiona insights (you must connect your Google Webmasters Tool to do so). 

Please let me know if this helps, if not I will look further into the matter for you! 

Best,

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Emma,

Most important part to be considered here is that Google Analytics primarily tracks the number of sessions in comparison to the number of clicks you track in Google AdWords. 

Also, your invalid clicks data is filtered out in AdWords, but not in Google Analytics. More data discrepancy is explained here:- https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

So, there is a definite possibility around why some of the data is being tracked and some not in both the products i.e. AdWords and Analytics.

As said above, it's good to review the Search Terms Report from both the products and identify the relevant and irrelevant terms for your account and optimize it accordingly.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Joshua, thanks for your reply.

Yes there is a discrepancy when I view the search terms in Adwords as I can see them all there, 100%. However this is not good for advertisers as you can't see the Bounce rates and pages per session via this report for the search queries, so it is no good for determining whether certain search terms should be added as negative. 100% of the search terms needs to be in the Google Analytics reports as they were previously.

I think that the problem is that Google is restricting the search queries data so that it is not fully available to advertisers with the result being that we don't fully know the search terms that our ads are being shown for. I have had this information 100% in the past and now only 80% is available. The advertiser shouldn't have to run different reports for insight into this - it was all available previously and now it is being restricted. Who benefits from this....certainly not the advertiser who should have full access, as previously, to the full report of search queries for their PPC ads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pankaj for your reply.

The issue I'm raising is that the data that was previously 100% available in Google Analytics is now only 80% available. This data 'Search Queries' is important since we review regularly to see which search terms are receiving a high bounce back or small amount of pages per session. This allows decisions to be made as to whether to add this search term as a negative.

If this information is being restricted by Google then we are paying for clicks on some search terms that we have no way of measuring. The clicks we pay for are expensive and we need to not be paying for searches that are not as relevant or profitable than others, hence why I am questioning why this info is being restricted and flagging up that this is a real problem for PPC advertisers.

Emma

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello Emma;

Data from Adwords should be shown in  Analytics.
When you say missing do you mean it's marked as "not set"? Is this a search campaign or a display campaign?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello MosheTLV

No it is not marked as 'not set' - I have experienced that before but this is not the problem.

It is a search campaign.

The problem is not all the data is being shown in Analytics - The report I'm running is in Analytics / Aquisition / Adwords / Search Query
and it says quite clearly in the first column showing the 'Clicks' - % of Total: 80.76%
Whenever I have run this report before, and this has been on many ocassions, the number of 'Clicks' shown was 100%.
This is also the same for historical reports, where previously I could view 100% of the clicks now on 80% to 82% showing.

Why is Google with holding this information to advertisers?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello again Emma;

I would agree then with Pankaj that some of the clicks were filtered.

Did you verify that you were looking at the same  timeframe in both reports?

Yu could find a clue / points to check in this help article:

Common issues with AdWords reporting

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’