AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

One MCC for similar businesses and cross account conversion tracking

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

This is a theoretical discussion.

Let's say that we have 5 dentists in the same city and they agree to have installed the cross-account conversion tracking code. What would be the advantages of this setup ?

I already know that an MCC can be used to link under it multiple MCCs so the agency can have the master MCC and some other 4-5 MCCs for similar businesses.

1) Useful Scenario : person clicks on Ad from dentist1, then on Ad from dentist2 , then converts on Ad from dentist3.

You can report to dentist 3 that he only had to pay for 1 click while the research for services was done with clicks from other accounts . Basically show that your management efforts to have more similar businesses under the same umbrella leads to an economy for each of the accounts.

These things happen anyway, people click on multiple ads just to see prices. In a normal setup you would only report a Top conversion path made from 1 click.

Question is does this setup raise problems for calculating ROI for individual accounts ?

2) Scenario : person clicks on Ad from dentist1, then on Ad from dentist2 , then converts on Ad from dentist3.

Dentist3 does not have the keywords from dentist1 or dentist2 that got these clicks. You can advise dentist3 to add the first 2 keywords to the account in order to ensure more such conversion paths. Could this be useful ?

Readers , I invite you to leave your own ideas about this theoretical setup Smiley Happy maybe something useful for comes up as a conclusion even if you meet 2 similar businesses under the same MCC.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: One MCC for similar businesses and cross account conversion tracki

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi mate,

I think you would be in dangerous territory if you did either scenario 1 or 2. I'd certainly fire you as my AdWords manager if I thought you were operating in this kind of way.

If you are using my competitors to help me, you'll be doing the opposite as well. not a lot of trust in that business relationship to me.

It wouldn't impact the way you calculate ROI, you still spend money and make money either way.

You'll be able to see some cross account search funnels to help give you some useful insights but be careful the way you use it.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

When you read those help pages as if you were the intended audience it makes perfect sense.

This is it exactly: 

"But all of these benefits seem to be referring to situations when an MCC chooses this cross-account conversion for a single client with multiple adwords accounts in different locations, not for many different clients."

Don't over-think it.  If you don't have a need, don't sweat it.  It's just another tool.  

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi mate,

I think you would be in dangerous territory if you did either scenario 1 or 2. I'd certainly fire you as my AdWords manager if I thought you were operating in this kind of way.

If you are using my competitors to help me, you'll be doing the opposite as well. not a lot of trust in that business relationship to me.

It wouldn't impact the way you calculate ROI, you still spend money and make money either way.

You'll be able to see some cross account search funnels to help give you some useful insights but be careful the way you use it.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok so businesses with a single adwords account should not allow the install of the cross account conversion code, the useful outcome of my topic could be a warning in the documentation Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hey Adrian,

I think a warning isn't warranted as generally speaking, agencies/account managers don't try to dupe their clients and wouldn't spend extra work on something that isn't needed.

Your scenario, will very creative and as Adam pointed out - start getting into business ethics.

I've had requests for exclusivity before for reasons just like this, not a good plan. Smiley Happy

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I basically asked for a response like Adam's when showing such ideas Smiley Happy 

I opened the other thread exactly because I felt that this feature requires some more clarification when is it good or not to be allowed by single account holders ( the most common situation in an MCC) .

I suppose not many MCCs have businesses with more than 1 adwords account.

What I want to understand is what is the benefit for many different clients under an MCC with this code, besides the speed of implementing conversions and the control over conversion setup.

There are these benefits listed in the manual 

• "Simpler, more powerful reports. Cross-account Search Funnel reports consolidate your data across all accounts that use this feature. You can also see how customers interact with your keywords across all of your accounts before they convert.

• Minimize miscounts. Placing fewer code snippets on your site makes it less likely to accidentally count the same conversion more than once.. "

Also on the blog they say link 

"Get more accurate conversion reporting. A single tag ensures that a conversion is only counted once across your accounts."

But all of these benefits seem to be referring to situations when an MCC chooses this cross-account conversion for a single client with multiple adwords accounts in different locations, not for many different clients.

I am not sure if implementing this over different clients does not affect the conversion count for each of them.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

When you read those help pages as if you were the intended audience it makes perfect sense.

This is it exactly: 

"But all of these benefits seem to be referring to situations when an MCC chooses this cross-account conversion for a single client with multiple adwords accounts in different locations, not for many different clients."

Don't over-think it.  If you don't have a need, don't sweat it.  It's just another tool.  

-Tommy

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes you are right, must be my english reading/scanning text habits that lead me to be over-preoccupied by this.

I interpreted "cross-account conversion" as a feature for everybody and I was looking for 2 IFs somewhere :

1) IF you have many different accounts all belonging to different businesses in your MMC, do this and these are the benefits

2) IF you have a few accounts all belonging to the same business in your MCC , do this and these are the benefits

Until now most of the features from the official blog were for everybody and I used them Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I'm still trying to figure out how this could be useful.

I can see it being marginally helpful if you owned several different types of stores for, lets say, skiing, snowboarding, biking, and swimming and you wanted to have some type of conversion like a newsletter signup or something across accounts.

You could track revenue for each domain, but just get an aggregate of signups, maybe? I still don't think this would be better than having it broken out by property, but maybe some would. Thoughts?