AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

One Adwords to Two Analytics 'Properties'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, looking for some advice on this one.

I have two web properties set up in Analytics (i.e. UA-xxxxx-1 and UA-xxxxx-2) that relate to two separate websites selling similar but sufficiently different products for one company.

I have inherrited one AdWords account that manage the company's campaigns for both websites from.

This works in all aspects, except cost data being supplied to Analtics. i.e. Campaign auto tagging supplies the correct information to the correct Analytics property.  But cost data shown on each property is the. combined single Adwords Account Data  (Advertising>Adwords>Campaigns>Click).

One obvious solution would be to have two Adwords Accounts, of course splitting accounts at this stage may be detrimental due to loss of history / quality score.

This essentially means that best practice would be to set up one adwords account per website (property). Is that your experience? Have I missed something?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: One Adwords to Two Analytics 'Properties'

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ROiBOT,

As per Google Adwords guidelines, multilple websites into the same business are not allowed to have separate Adwords accounts. See this article. However, the last call would still be from Adwords side depending upon the nature of the two websites as you mentioned.

So honestly speaking, if you really want to dig into it and need to have clear recommendation, you will have to get in touch with Adwords representative and explain him the exact scenario. They will decide whether you can have a 2nd Adwords account or not.

Now coming to the Cost Data factor which you said that in both web properties, the combined data is visible and you really want to differentiate that. My point of view is that it might not be possible because of the fact that both web properties are under the same Analytics account and importantly data is flowing from single Adwords account. So when you check mark Adwords Cost Source Settings, it tends to combine the data for all the properties under that account. But still you can have a word with Google Analytics Certified partner for the best opinion. You can find them here.

Hope that may be some help!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your input, but it doesn't really help me much.   As really that is the situation I am describing, I am aware of the policy and of the limitations. So in your opinion, the only solution is two accounts (with prior Google permission)?

Are there any other solutions, that I might have missed?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey.

There's your solution, RoiBOT: http://support.google.com/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55611

Link that AdWords account to all analytics accounts you have to, and make sure that in each Analytics account you only include campaigns directed to that domain.

I really liked this feature, and was about to use it, but decided to go for many adwords accounts, each for one website.

Give it a try and get back to us, I'd really like to know if it worked. I performed a test for a few hours and it seems to be working, but I'd like a second opinion.

Good luck!

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thanks for sharing this article Calin Smiley Happy

It was not much to my knowledge that we can do this for multiple web properties inside one GA account for single Adwords account.

@ROiBOT, try this solution and let us know here. It will be a great resoution for many advertisers like us.

Best

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I am testing this now. So far looks good in one account, but I made a mistake in the other profile so not yet delcaring 100% success.

( By the way, for anyone looking in, I always set up a sandbox profile when testing filters like this, as if you make a mistake with a filter regular expression on your main/default profile the data lost is lost for ever.  Normally I run at least 3 profiles, 1 with raw data, no filters at all, just in case of disasters, one for testing (sandbox) and then the main 'default' profile that I apply tested filters to.    Also by having the Sandbox you can compare with your live/default and quickly establish if you have got things right. )

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi ROiBOT, did this work out for you? Thinking of attempting this but don't want to lose any data in the process; i.e. from my original linked Analytics Property (don't want it to unlink if I link another). Thanks Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

yes it all worked fine

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

I'm trying this linking specific AdWords campaigns to different properties in Google Analytics. I linked my Adwords accounts to the Test view (what was referred to as Sandbox by another user below) of one of my property accounts. Now how can I choose the campaigns for which data should only be featured in each respective property or view?

thanks

Elsa