AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

On-Page Dynamic Phone Number - cookie behaivour

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using an on-page dynamic phone number switcher for a client. It's tracking conversions fine, but the client keeps complaining that he can't see it switching whenever he clicks on one of his ads. It only works for me on an incognito browser or with cleared cookies.

I wondered if any of you knew the behaviour of the dynamic phone number when other channels come into play?

Let's say I arrive initially via Adwords and see the phone number change on the landing page. I then leave and return on an organic channel. Should I still see the forwarding number (assuming I still have the cookie)?

Secondly (and most importantly), if I arrive initially by organic search, leave, then return via an Adwords ad, should I see the forwarding number on the second visit?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: On-Page Dynamic Phone Number - cookie behaivour

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nathan;
First, verify that you have implemented the code as explained here;
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your answer - as I said, it's tracking conversions just fine. The code works, what I'm after is the expected outcomes when other channels come into play.

Assuming a new customer in both cases with no previous cookie:

1. If I arrive on Adwords after arriving on a different channel, should I see the phone number switch on the second visit?

2. Secondly, if I arrive on Adwords, before returning on a different channel, will the number still be the forwarding number for the second visit?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Nathan,

Run these tests on a private browser window:

1. Visit your site but include ?gclid=preview at the end of your URL
2. Visit your site via Google - type your site name in and click the result

Are the numbers the same?

Ali

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Nathan;
The tracking cookie is reserved solely from AdWords tracking. No organic.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry - just to clarify - even if Adwords was my first visit, then I returned on a different channel the number would revert back to the non-Google-forwarding number on the second visit?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Yep - if the code is properly installed;
As explained:
>>"The target element needs to show your business number by default so that customers see a usable phone number when a Google forwarding number isn't displayed."
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Interesting, ok. That's not the behaviour I'm seeing. If I arrive on Adwords as a new customer, then return on organic - still with the original cookie, I still get shown the forwarding number on the second visit. This makes sense to me, as I'd want to attribute that conversion to Adwords as the initial visit.

The switcher does work - if I arrive on organic without having touched adwords, I see the non-forwarding number - the quote you gave isn't quite relevant to what I'm asking. It does show the normal number by default.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Nathan,

Mind put at rest with this?

Remember you can add ?gclid=preview to your URL to test your call tracking in the future

Ali

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Nathan A;

What do you mean "coming from organic" - using Google search or typing  the URL directly into the browser address line?

Remember that in AdWotds the conversion is attributed to the last click