AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

No "Destination URL" option available

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to set a "Destination URL" and then the tracking parameters that will be appended to it, but I'm only seeing the "Final URL" option.

I've included a screenshot below:

adwords-issue.PNG

It should look like this:

adwords-correct.png

Do I have to enable the option somehow?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David S
January 2016

Re: No "Destination URL" option available

Top Contributor
# 17
Top Contributor

Hi @David S

Based on the tracking information you have shared I don't  find a need to setting them up at ad level. Your tracking info does not seem to have anything that needs to be ad specific. Though, a lot depends on how you have structured your campaigns and adgroups. If they are structured based on themes, there shouldn't be any problem. 

Assuming Transit as your campaign and Public Transit Software as an adgroup inside it, you can do the following setup -

At Campaign Level -

Tracking Template = {lpurl}?campaign_medium=PPC&campaign_source=AdWords&campaign_name=Transit&campaign_content={_adgroupname}

Now at adgroup, you will need to create a custom parameter _adgroupname. Set its value to be your adgroup name i.e. PublicTransportSoftware. 

The actual click URL in this case would be -

http://www.tripspark.com/campaign_medium=PPC&campaign_source=AdWords&campaign_name=Transit&campaign_...

Isn't it what you want?

Your structure seems ideal for an account level tracking template as well. You may consider it to keep things easier. And yes, there's no need to add tracking at the ad level and thus reseting your stats. 

My two cents. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@David S 
Destination URL was retired. Tracking parameters work with Final URL.
All the official details can be found here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6049217?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks David!
Is there no longer a way to update tracking parameters without having to resubmit the ad and lose all previous stats?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@David S 

I honestly don't know. With the kind of clients I have, this is not a feature I need to use. I thought the whole purpose of this new feature was to make it easier to append these variables to ads without having to edit every ad. Maybe that was for when it worked for destination URL?  I just played around with it, and it appears to behave the same way as changing ad copy. If you don't want to lose the data, I'm guessing the best way is to copy and paste the ad, and then change the parameters? I know that's not optimal. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can clarify or provide a better solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah, it defeats the whole purpose of having the tracking parameters section if it still gets rid of the ad and stats. So hopefully there is a way to do it . . .

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey David, there are some steps here that you can follow: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6157310

But I think that the ads are going to be reviewed. If your account is well optimized, don't worry about one review on your ads, they will recover in good health very fast.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @David S

When you go to edit your ads, do you something like the following image?

Capture234.PNG

If you do, it means your URLs have still not been auto-upgraded. Though, it's been late for such upgrades, there can still be chances to retain stats for these ads. How? Follow the steps here . Alternatively, if you were not using any tracking info with your destination URLs, or were using very generic tracking, you can try upgrading one single add for a test. Select the ad and go to Edit > Upgrade Destination URL. Follow the onscreen guidance and you are done. It should work, if it does, do it with all your ads. 

In the second scenario, if you don't see a field for Destination URL, it means you are already upgraded. Now if you want to add tracking info to your ad, leave the final URL as it is and add your tracking info to the Tracking Template under URL Options. It won't reset your ad stats. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

@Ratan-Jha 

re:"In the second scenario, if you don't see a field for Destination URL, it means you are already upgraded. Now if you want to add tracking info to your ad, leave the final URL as it is and add your tracking info to the Tracking Template under URL Options. It won't reset your ad stats. "

I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but I played around with it earlier to see what would happen.  This was in an account that I personally upgraded, and was only using Final URL. I only edited the tracking parameters and the ad stats were definitely reset.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi David,

To make it clear, if the tracking template is set at ad level, changing it will reset tha data. However if it is set up at ad group, campaign, or account, it won't reset the stat.

Hence, for David, the best option would be to set tracking at upper levels (not at ad level). It won't reset stats.

Thanks
Ratan

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi David K,

The data is all still there. After editing the ad, Google considers this a new ad. In most cases, edits of the ad make it a new ad. So, it starts fresh with no data. You can always check the previous performance of a deleted ad if you select the right date range and select "All" instead of "All active".

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords