AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

No clicks or impressions after campaign upgrade

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

I recently upgraded our campaign to "Search with Display Select" as suggested within the Adwords control panel and on doing so have stopped getting clicks and impressions altogether.

I haven't changed any of my ads, keywords, or bids, etc. yet we used to get several clicks a day both from keywords and display ads on the previous campaign mode, however as I have just returned from a week off, I find that our campaign has had no impressions or clicks whatsoever. The Google article on Search with Display select suggests we could see a 35% higher clickthru rate. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3437721?hl=en-GB

Can anybody suggest reasons as to why this may be and how I could rectify the situation?

Many thanks in advance :-)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: No clicks or impressions after campaign upgrade

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sam,

Can you tell us which transition you made i.e. from which campaign type you switched to Search with Display select?

Also, more importantly when you did you make this change?

When you hover mouse over the speech bubble of a keyword, what message are you getting? Does it say ad running or not?

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Pankaj,

Many thanks for your reply, it was previously the Search and Display Networks (one campaign) to Search with Display select.

I made the change a week ago, as shown in my account change log:

28-Feb-2014 11:00:49
Switched from Search and Display Networks to Search Network with Display Select

Hovering over the speech bubbles of the enabled keywords, would suggest my ads are running as they should be.

Many thanks in advance Pankaj! :-)

Sam

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Sam,

If I remember correctly, for this particular campaign type, you don't have direct control over the Display Network and AdWords will take care of the bidding part for this network automatically.

However, if your search ads are showing, as you said after hovering mouse over the speech bubble, then I suspect that it might be your Display ad impressions which have slowed down.

Did you try increasing the bid of this new campaign type to try and expand your reach. Also, did you see any change in the Quality Score of your keywords, i.e. increase/decrease etc?

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Pankaj

Thanks for your quick response. you may have a valid point about the impressions slowing down, as having delved deeper into my account change history, I see that the following was automatically changed at the time of switching campaign modes:

28-Feb-2014 11:00:51 Starter Campaign (Display only)
Starter Ad Group:
Ad group target CPA is £0.01
Ad group max CPC is £0.25
Ad group max. CPM is £0.15
Ad group name is Starter Ad Group
Ad group status is Enabled

Could this have had an impact perhaps, and if so, how can I change this?

As far as I am aware I did not alter any of the bids set and the quality score on most of the keywords is between 4/10 and 8/10, though some are lower than this and I think therefore I need to improve upon these?

The latter half of the keywords list, I've just noticed that some of the ads are not displaying and I'm getting this message when I hover over the speech bubbles:
"We're only able to provide diagnosis information for keywords in campaigns that are opted in to the Search Network."

This message maybe appears on about 15 of the keywords under the Keywords tab.

Thanks in anticipation,

Sam

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Sam,

You are right, when you switched the campaign, then the Display bid will be automatically taken care by AdWords since this campaign type has this inbuilt functionality.

Any of the Quality Score less than 5 is not good and I would really suggest you to make the respective changes to try and improve on it.Changes could be in terms of your keyword match types, bid adjustment, reviewing search terms, adding negative keywords etc...

The message you are getting could be due to the fact that it's a combined campaign (Search+Display) and Ad Preview is only available for the search campaigns.

Read this reference and see which all areas of improvement are left and you can make improvements to optimize your campaign further for better results: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3416396?hl=en&ref_topic=3122883

Pankaj