AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

No PPC conversions in Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I am running into a strange issue with how my AdWords campaign integrates with my Google Analytics account. I put the AdWords tracking code on my e-store's order confirmation page, and can track conversions via the AdWords interface.

I also set up a goal in Google Analytics with a URL that corresponds to the same confirmation page, and am tracking conversions via that goal in GA.

Problem is, when I look at the source of these conversions in GA, they are all attributed to either direct traffic or organic search -- absolutely none of them are attributed to paid search, which doesn't make sense, because I have conversions showing up in AdWords.

I know GA operates on the "last interaction" model, so I figured maybe people are clicking my ad, bookmarking my site, and then coming back to it later to make the purchase. But when I look at the Top Conversion Paths report in Google Analytics, I see nothing about AdWords. It just says:

Direct x2

Direct x3

Direct x4

This makes it really hard to analyze the ROI of my organic search efforts vs. social media marketing efforts vs. paid search efforts.

Any ideas what's going on, and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: No PPC conversions in Google Analytics

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi BagelBoy,

There are a couple of things that might cause this.

Check to see if you have auto-tagging enabled in your adwords account preferences.

"In order for Analytics to display details about your AdWords keywords and costs, you must do one of the following:

Enable Destination URL auto-tagging. This is the recommended approach and ensures that you get the most detailed AdWords data.

Manually tag all your keyword destination URLs with tracking variables. You should only do this in the special cases outlined below."

Does the shopping cart take the users away from your site for the payment? paypal etc? If it's not set up corrently this can also cause some source issues in analytics.

Hopefully it'll be one of those and it can be solved pretty easily. Let us know how you get on.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the quick response!

I double checked that I have auto-tagging enabled in my AdWords account, so that's not the issue. I can see all of my AdWords data in GA (ad position, matched queries, etc.) so it's not as if my AdWords data isn't being passed into GA, it's just that it doesn't seem to be receiving any sort of credit for the goal completions that are happening (at the very least, I should be seeing some assisted conversions).

I am using Shopify, and enabled the option where people just pay with their credit card, so there's no PayPal redirect. I placed the AdWords tracking code on the checkout page using Shopify's interface, and set up a conversion goal in GA using the "order confirmation" page URL (/checkout/orders/show).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
To follow up:

When I click on "Model Comparison Tool," I see Direct and Paid Search. In the "Last Interaction Conversions," there is nothing for Paid Search, which would imply (at least based on my understand) that Paid Search didn't result in any goal completions directly. Fine, but, again, I am seeing conversions in AdWords, so the AdWords campaign MUST have at some point played SOME role in at least ONE conversion, and I am not seeing that anywhere :/

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
I think I might have something for you, I came across this from shopify.

http://docs.shopify.com/support/other/general-information/google-analytics-goals-and-funnels

It shows how to set it up and I think pay special attention to point 3

Have a look through it and see if this helps. I think this might be the answer.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, puerfuzz!

I actually read through that document when I was setting up the goal tracking in GA. I don't think that's really the problem I am dealing with, because GA is recording all of the ecommerce data just fine -- I am seeing how many purchases people have made, what items they're buying, etc. All of that data matches with what Shopify's own dashboard is telling me.

It comes down to how these goal conversions are being attributed, with PPC not getting ANY of the credit...

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni
OK, did you check to see if the setdomain was showing "none" ? It sounds lieke the user goes to shopify to pay and it's losing the source and referrer data so i'd just make sure your code is showing exactly what they are showing for that section at least.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am using Universal Analytics, so "setdomain" isn't one of the parameters, but I verified that all of the payment pages have some version of the following script:

<script type="text/javascript">ga('create', 'UA-22878427-3', {cookieDomain: 'none', legacyCookieDomain: 'none'});ga('send', 'pageview', {'page': '/checkout/carts/show'});</script>

Obviously, the page URL varies depending on which page the user is on.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I also don't necessarily think the referrer is getting lost, because at least one conversion/goal completion is attributed to "organic", so it's not ALL "Direct." It's just that PPC should be getting some attributions too...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This may potentially help with diagnosing the issue.

When I go to Behavior > Site Content > All Pages, select "Paid Search Traffic" as one of the segments, and search for "/checkout/orders/show", I see NO traffic data. When I change the segment to "All Traffic", I see all of the data I'd expect. I also see data when I include "Direct Traffic" and "Non-paid Search Traffic."