AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

New account, old campaigns. Conversion tracking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work at a Direct Marketing Firm and my boss asked me to set up new accounts to organize all our adwords campaigns. I created the new accounts and copy and pasted about half the campaigns from the original account into the new one.

My question is, do I need to go through the process of getting and pasting new code into each thank you page, or can I just go into tools>conversion>code and use the code provided in this section. Will this give me what we had before on the original account?

Mike the Intern

Re: New account, old campaigns. Conversion tracking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If it's an account change then the code should be the same, therefore you won't need to do anything as the code is already set up on your thank you pages.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But there was no 'conversions' column reporting the number.

Theres a conversions column now, but its all zeros and I'll have to wait at least 24 hours to see if it's actually reporting. To get this, I used the code provided on the original account for these landing pages. Do you think this could have messed up anything?

Mike the Intern
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PlumDM C
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Mike,

Conversion code is specific to the account (and to the different conversions created within a particular account), so you'll need to get new code from the Tools > Conversion section of each new account for conversions to register correctly. Conversions are only recorded when someone clicks on an ad from the same account the conversion code comes from, and then completes a conversion within the conversion window. If conversion code were not specific to the account, a conversion would be recorded if someone clicked on your ad, and then converted at a completely different site you don't own that also has AdWords conversion code on it.

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks this helped!

A follow up question if I may, does this mean that if I have a single landing page, but many different versions for different campaigns (/001, /002, /003 etc.), that I will need to add the code for every one of these pages? Is there an easier way?

Mike the Intern

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Great! Glad it helped you out!

I would think that with some knowledge of programming/web development there may be a way to avoid adding the code to each individual thank you page URL--but unfortunately that would be beyond my own knowledge. If you don't have that skill set, perhaps try talking to your company's IT department or whoever built the website? Or is there any possibility of using just one thank you page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I work very closely with the IT department at my company since it is very small, and most of them are interns like me with little experience but basic web design. They weren't sure of any faster way. And if our landing pages used the same thank you page wouldn't that just show the combined conversions for all landing pages? I need to view the conversions of each landing page individually.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Sounds like the way you're set up, using one thank you page might not be feasible. If each landing page is associated with a different ad group, you may be able to measure the relative success of each (though you probably don't want to change the existing account structure, and if people click on an ad that takes them to one landing page but then end up converting at another landing page the conversion will be credited to the ad group that got the click, throwing off your results).

Setting up goals in Google Analytics can help you with tracking individual page performance as well.