AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

New Adwords Chart Formats (rant)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The new (blue & red) Adwords charts are nearly useless!

After years of managing hundreds of accounts, the traditional blue & green Adwords charts grew to beome a great weathervane to see how the account (or campaign/ad group) was trending. My default setup was unique conversions versus cost, and this let me know performance relative to spend. Coutless times it caught negative trends before the client had, allowing me to jump into action. I slept well at night after checking their month-to-date progress nearly instantly with the charts. If you needed to check year over year, then just grab the metric and date ranges and you could see the lift in under a minute. That's not to say they replaced reporting and analysis, but it was a great perforamnce barometer.

Now, without warning and explination, they have been replaced by far inferior charts.

The new charts now feature: 

1. The legend above the chart, which makes no sense and limits the y axis so deltas are much harder to read.

2. The 2 y axes (when 2 metrics are selected) now start at arbitary amounts, which make comparing two data sets ineffective and dangerous.

3. Why put in a red line, when that typically has negative connotations?

4. Why make the circles so prominent so the flow of the chart is severly interrupted?

The first two issues are the most painful and have now made the charts irrelevant. The following two are more aesthetic and could be bearable if the charts were functional.

Now instead of pulling up an account to see how it is trending, I have to download a report, segmented by day and then pull up the charts in MS Excel, what took 5-10 seconds now takes 3-4 minutes. Luckily I am no longer in an agency, so I have less accounts to monitor, but when Google releases Instant to shave portions of seconds, why institute a feature that adds minutes and has to be replaced with a Microsoft product?

If they really wanted to improve the charts, they would allow for annotations (ala Analytics), or let you expand the area (as is the case in Google+ Circles Screen), maybe compare more than 2 metrics, or hey how about be able to plot Total Conversion Value!!! Instead of taking the time to ruin features, maybe allow for custom/computed metrics with the tables, or to pull in outside data into AdWords to get a better performance picture. Look at allowing different types of charts instead of just trend lines - anything besides what you have done.

I guess in the end, I only have one request: Change the charts back!

Re: New Adwords Chart Formats (rant)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Totally agree with Chris.  I took a couple screen shots but apparently can't paste them here. Suffice it to say, the new charts are not informative in the least. Please change them back!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

They really are awful.  I'm looking at year over year clicks by month for a client and the chart is giving each year its own scale on the y axis.  I'm comparing apples to apples over the same time period, why on earth would I need two different scales? It makes the graph more confusing than insightful and, ultimately, meaningless.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
We are curently using gadatgrabber - an adwords / analytics api to excel tool. You may want to play around with using that, as it may be faster...