AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Nested Tag with dki

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello the english community !

The french one need help !

we're a bit annoyed with a question regarding dynamic tracking with DKI.

It appears that you can't nest tags inside a DKI such as the help says : {Keyword:default {param1:text}}
(help : https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/71804?hl=fr) when you set this line with a ad , you get an error : }}: Ponctuation non standard

with : {Keyword:default (param1:text)} (parenthesis instead) , no error but not sure that it 'll work !

Any tips on this ?

Tks for you help !

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Nested Tag with dki

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Bonjour Maurice!  I'm not sure AdWords will be able to handle that sort of nesting and, in truth, I'm struggling to think of a situation where I'd want to use that sort of combination.  Can you give an example of where you'd want to use this?

It may be that Scripts are the answer.  Scripts can address {params} so, depending upon what you want to do you may be able to develop a script that replicates the behaviour of DKI and params combined.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jon ! Tks !

In fact, the use of if is when you want to use a dynamic parameter to change not only the query but also the price for instance ..here a post about it : http://www.ewanheming.com/adwords-api-ad-params ...So you think that the context is rather on the script side or api one ? or both ? ..

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Just to add to what @Jon_Gritton has suggested.

I think irrespective of you using scripts or API it will still throw syntax error.

Can you try something like  {Keyword:default}{param1:text}

This ideally should work and you wont need nesting. Although I have never tried this personally i have a feeling this should work.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "not only the query but also the price for instance". Can you give an example of this?

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi theniks tks..
As it is shown on this article : http://www.ewanheming.com/adwords-api-ad-params ..(price) .but regarding especially with the DKI + param i still don't know the aim of it (not a question of mine)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I can't really see why they'd want to use the {param} as the default text when it's a price.  For example, let's say the line is:

Buy Red Shoes - Just $45

If they wanted to use DKI, surely it'd be on the "red shoes" bit?  So the Ad code would be:

Buy {KeyWord:Red Shoes} - Just {param1:$45}

Unless they're using a price in their Keywords, it doesn't make sense to use a (variable) price in the default DKI text.  The example you've linked to Maurice is just talking about the {param} part so I think the poster on your side needs to provide a specific example of why they'd want to use a param in the DKI default text.

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
hi Jon..

Many tks for your opinion ...as soon as i manage to guess what the poster want i 'll come back ..Have a nice day Jon..

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@mozllo it could well be they either don't understand that DKI uses the Keyword, not the search term (which is extremely common) or they mis-understand the thinking behind the use of {params}.

J