AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Need help with Adwords tracking in Analytics, please.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Experts,

I need help/solution for tracking a adwords remarketing campaign in analytics. I have tried using manually created URL destinations but I believe they are being over ridden by auto tagging. I can match up my adwords campaign in analytics but its showing as google / cpc.Is there an easy way to change the source to something easier to find such as REMARKETING CAMPAIGN. Example: I would like to be able to search source/medium and see how my remarketing campaign is performing. Or Be able to simple search campaign in analytics and easily identify the exact campaign by viewing REMARKETING CAMPAIGN.

Im aware I can turn off auto tagging and just apply the GOOGLE destination URL but just wanted to see if you guys know of a better solution. Is there a way to change Auto-tagging so it shows Remarketing / campaign 1 instead of google /cpc in analytics?

Here's an example:

Example

You specify utm_campaign = "foo".

Analytics reports use:

• Campaign = "foo"
  • Auto-tagged values for all other parameters:
    • source = "google"
    • medium = "cpc"
    • term = [auto-tagged value from AdWords]
    • content = [auto-tagged value from AdWords]

The questions:

1. How do I change or can I change the campaign " foo" so its easily found in analytics and everything is not showing as google / cpc

2. Am I able to change the auto-tagging "source"

Thanks guys!

Thanks for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Vin,

There is a reporting section in Analytics just for AdWords. Acquisition > AdWords. If you have linked AdWords to Analytics you will see data there broken down by campaign.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Vin,

if auto-tagging is on, AdWords and Analytics will correctly assign conversions to whichever ad campaign the click came from. There is no need for UTM.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rob,

If auto=tagging is on it reports remarketing campaigns as google / cpc  in analytics. What I want to know is there a way to report it differently without using UTM.

Example; I want it to show as remarketing / campaign1 as an example

If the answer is using a UTM is the only way, then I would like to know that as well.

Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Vin,

There is a reporting section in Analytics just for AdWords. Acquisition > AdWords. If you have linked AdWords to Analytics you will see data there broken down by campaign.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

You are viewing the Acquisition > All traffic > source/medium reports. Google/cpc is the source/medium of AdWords, so this report shows you all the aggregate AdWords data, in comparison to all other sources. 

Like @RobSkelton said, there is an entire section of AdWords specific reports, directly under "All Traffic", under the acquisition reports tab.

Some information is easier to find, or only available in one area or another. You can apply a secondary segment for campaign at the source/medium level if you want. Or, you can select data only from that campaign in the AdWords > Campaigns reports. You shouldn't need any manual tagging to get all the available AdWords data, as long as auto tagging is enabled, both accounts are linked, and you have no coding/tracking issues with analytics. 

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The accounts are not linked although I do have read & analyze to the GA account. I can find all the reporting in the world, that's not the issue. What I need to do is break down the traffic sent by this remarketing campaign and make it easy to find in GA.

Last 30 days has generated 70 clicks using remarketing however it only shows 21 in GA. It's not lost but the other is being reported as google /cpc in the source / medium and Im trying to figure out how to get it to show as anyname / retargeting as the source medium.

Finding reports and tracking is not the issue. Making so anyone can look at GA ( who's not familiar) and saying oh it looks like remarketing is working for me, is.

The only way I know how to do this is with a UTM however you can see that for whatever reason its only tracking about 25% and the other is being tracked as google / cpc.

Hope that clears it up.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Vin,

The solution is to link Analytics and AdWords. You will need to have full privileges in both accounts with the same login to do this.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Right. Manual tagging isn't as good as auto tagging, so you are always going to lose something, or something is going to end up tagged wrong, or not tagged at all. So enable auto tagging, link both accounts, and remove all your manual tagging. Problem solved! Smiley Happy

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I completely agree with you both now back to my original question. Is there a way to set the source medium as anything other than google /cpc.

When you have auto tagging everything comes as google /cpc and I want to distinguish the remarketing campaign.

Maybe Im not explaining this correctly ...sorry

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Vin,

Facebook have a tool for this that many marketers use for all UTM tagging:

https://www.facebook.com/business/google-analytics/build-your-url

It *should* create a separate source / medium in Analytics for whatever you call source and medium.

I say *should* because although I have done this for email and FaceBook, I've never had a need to do it for AdWords.