AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Need Help Adding Call Conversion Code to Page Using Google Tag Manager

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone,

I'd like to add the call conversion code to the client's site so it will switch numbers. But I'd like to do this using Google Tag Manager (GTM). I'm very familiar with GTM and have used other call tracking providers. They simply have some html code that I create a custom html tag in GTM and it works fine.

Can you guys help me to figure out how to add the new call conversion code using GTM? Need to know specifically, what tag to use, what code to add to the tag and the firing rules or macros.  

Thanks!

-Chris

Links:

http://html-google-ad-words-call-conversions.blogspot.in/2014/08/howto-pplyhtml-code-google-adwords....

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2014/08/introducing-website-call-conversions.html

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need Help Adding Call Conversion Code to Page Using Google Tag Man

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I was disappointed to learn that the new Google Call Tracking solution cannot be added using GTM.... more so because the 3rd party tool I use with my clients is really simple to add through GTM...

Please don't shoot the messenger - I'm on your side on this one....

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for that Steve. Yes the call tracking system we use is a simple cut-paste-custom html tag implement with GTM. Hopefully they will support it out of the box in GTM soon.

But if anyone has a workaround, please post here for all of us GTM users.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I imagine this will change soon, The call tracking has just rolled out, so I imagine they will add this to GTM soon, the sooner the better I am sure.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi guys,
Just wanted to chime in here to let you know that it IS possible using custom HTML tags in GTM.

I wrote an article on how to do it here - https://www.redflymarketing.com/blog/adwords-call-tracking-guide-gtm/

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
That's really cool @Dave_Davis - well done... I must admit, however, that I am surprised that the Google call tracking solution isn't more elegant.

When this was announced, the GTM compatibility issue was the first thing I asked about - I was told that it was not compatible - and whilst I am pleased to see your implementation, it worries me that having followed Google's recommendation, and moved most of my clients (as and when something comes up that allows me to have the conversation) over to GTM, that a new feature is released and cannot be implemented directly. The way in which you have implemented would be simple to set up at Google's end... why not? Have a special tag where you just have to enter your phone number - that should be simple enough, surely.

The next step would be to introduce what other tracking systems have clearly done which is a kind of find function which looks for the numbers on the page and then swaps them over. If other third party solutions need a single line of code, then I am sure Google could do the same.

As @Clynton M suggests, I too am sure that this is coming - I'm just a little surprised that they didn't "complete" the development before release....

I wonder - now with my tin foil hat on - if the recent announcement of ifbyphone's acquisition of Mongoose Metrics didn't push them to release earlier than they might otherwise have done.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the two replies.

@Dave_davis: Thanks for that tutorial. Awesome job and not too hard to implement to anyone who works with GTM on a regular basis. How has reporting been using this method and are there any bugs that have come up?

@stickleback: I do agree this should be as easy as dropping in one line of code. I thought Adwords call tracking does dynamically swap out the numbers on the site per their post on 8/18/14 on the adwords blog.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Chris.
You're welcome.

I've seen some random issues with the number being reset when the user returns drop a third party payment platform. It seems random for now and it's not a big issue considering its at the point when the conversion is complete. Other than that, nothing. The jquery requirement is a but frustrating though.

I'd bet that we'll see support for this natively in the coming months though as Clynton mentioned. The Google Tag Manager team are on a roll lately. They deserve an award for how much they've made my life easier.

Absolutely agree that the call tracking implementation by AdWords seemed rushed. A rare miss. Took me weeks to figure out how to do the basic implementation alone!

Next article is the implementation of enhanced commerce using GTM. THAT was an interesting one Smiley Wink

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Agreed. Thanks for that additional info. Looking forward to native support.

Just got auto-event tracking set up for a client using GTM. Can track just about anything on the site, without touching the site's code. GTM is truly powerful!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Dave,

Just implemented the call tracking using your post, excellent writeup.

Quick question: it says to add the target phone number where it shows X-XXX-XXX-XXXX in the code you said to add to the end of the tag. Is it necessary to have the number in that exact format or just to change that to the number on the site.

For example, does the number on the site have to be 1-212-344-5689, or can it be 212-344-5689 and just change that part of the code from X-XXX-XXX-XXXX to 212-344-5689.

Thanks!