AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

My one page site is getting high 100% bounce rates and 00:00:00 time on site. Is it reporting?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Google Adwords Forum Members! I have a dilemma and was wondering if you could provide some insight for me.

My website:

Startmycoffeeshop dot com is a one page site. I am getting traffic from Adwords but the bounce rate is 100% and the average session duration is 00:00:00. (Yes ZERO) Smiley Sad Could it be because my page is a one page site with limited interaction that I am seeing a high bounce rate?  Also the time on page is almost non existent so they are just showing up and leaving? Or does it take time for "avg session duration" to register?

My Adwords is very targeted, with phrase match keywords and ads. 7/10 score. How to start a coffee shop (exact match), Coffee Shop business plan template (exact match)

So I am not sure if its my landing page, the traffic I am targeting, market or some other variable.

Any input you have is welcome, my Adwords campaign has been running for about a week now with 99% of 100% bounce rate and 00:00:00 time on page (with no sales) so I am pretty much open to any suggestion at this stage. 

Thank You!
Shawn

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My one page site is getting high 100% bounce rates and 00:00:00 time on site. Is it reporting?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Shawn,

Please Double check Analytics-code is on the landing page with the help of Google Tag Assistant.

I will recommend to move your GTM Tag from Line number 1404 to 508 because Google Tag Manager code should appears immediately after the opening <body> tag on every page on your site.

To help verify or troubleshoot your installation, you can use Tag Manager's Preview Mode and the Tag Assistant Chrome extension.

Thanks,
Anand
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shawn C
May 2016

Re: My one page site is getting high 100% bounce rates and 00:00:00 time on site. Is it reporting?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Shawn C

Yes, the reason you are seeing 100% bounce and 0:00:00 time on site is because you only have on page.  Analytics can't measure time until another page on the site is loaded. Same holds true for bounce rate.  With a one page site, you will always have 100% bounce rate. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I agree with @David Kyle,

Avg session duration= interaction time of pageB - interaction time of pageA.

And a Bounce occurs, when a user visits pageA and close the browser/tabs, without interacting with any other page.

But in your case, there is only page, so your avg session duration & bounce rate is zero.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1006253?hl=en

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank You David, This puts me at ease a bit more. If they click on links that have them scroll to different sections of the site. For example "click here to view samples" and the site scrolls to that section would that help google count the time on site?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Shawn C

No, because it's simply scrolling and the Analytics code is not being reloaded to take in new data.  I'm sure you understand that Analytics code needs to be placed on every page of the site.  When a visitor visits the first page, the Analytics code is loaded which starts tracking the session.  The only way it can calculate time and another page view is for another page to load in that session. When the next page loads, the Analytics code on that page is essentially reloaded and it takes in new information such as the page it just came from, and how much time has elapsed since it was loaded the first time.  Make sense?

The one page site with anchor links will scroll to the programmed parts of the page, but Analytics is not being reloaded, therefore it can't tell what is going on.

You probably can set something up in Google Tag Manager with a click listener, but that's beyond the scope of my expertise.  Maybe @Alexey Chesnok can point you in the right direction. He's an expert in that subject.

In my mind though, I'm thinking the easiest thing to do is to move away from this one page architecture and create unique pages for about, "view samples," etc.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank You David, this information has been very helpful. As you mentioned perhaps having links to sample pages etc will help me get a better idea of user engagement.

Thank you again
Shawn