AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

My ad is going above budget...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need some help here.  I set up my first ad campaign today to display a trailer for my YouTube channel.  I don't have much money, so I set up a campaign for $1.07 a day for 14 days, coming to around $15.  The ad just started running today and according to the data, it has already gotten a total cost of almost $6!  I mean the ad seems to be reaching a lot of people, but it's going to blow through my budget in a matter of days rather than over the 2 week period like I wanted.  I thought it was supposed to stop near the daily budget, but it has blown through it and seems to still be going.  Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Also just a side question:  If people click on the video, it does take them directly to my channel, right?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: My ad is going above budget...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chris B,

Did you use enhanced bidding or anything like that, other than manual bidding? That could lead to this situation. Check on that first and make sure you're on manual bidding.

Google will over-deliver up to 20% over your budget on any single day but will not go over you budget for the month. When you run a campaign less than 30 days, you should expect up to 20% over-delivery. But $6 is way over 20%.

Double-check the daily budget amount. Make sure you don't have a misplace decimal. What's your Max CPC bid?

Where people go when they click on your depends on how you set the ad up.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chris B,

Did you use enhanced bidding or anything like that, other than manual bidding? That could lead to this situation. Check on that first and make sure you're on manual bidding.

Google will over-deliver up to 20% over your budget on any single day but will not go over you budget for the month. When you run a campaign less than 30 days, you should expect up to 20% over-delivery. But $6 is way over 20%.

Double-check the daily budget amount. Make sure you don't have a misplace decimal. What's your Max CPC bid?

Where people go when they click on your depends on how you set the ad up.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just doubled checked and my daily budget is at $1.07 so that should be alright. Honestly I am new to all this and I'm not sure what you mean by manual bidding vs enhanced bidding or how to change that. I also can't find my Max CPC, but my Max CPV is $0.02 for my target group. My average CPV is $0.01 if that matters. Thank you so much for helping me and I apologize if my questions seem dumb. I'm trying to teach myself how to do all of this and I just want to make sure my campaign funds are being used properly.