AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple conversions in conversion optimizer

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I have an account with 4 conversions set up, 3 of which are can be triggered by users coming to the website through a particular campaign. I want to experiment with campaign optimizer for this campaign but I don't know which conversion shall the conversion optimizer optimize. Of the 3 conversions one is most valuable (purchase) while the other two not so much (sign up, newsletter subscription). 

1. How does conversion optimizer know which conversion to optimize on when multiple conversions are present in account?
  2. Does it consider the monetary values of conversions in optimization (but they are optional)?
  3. How does conversion optimizer optimize in the absence of any monetary value assigned to the conversions?

I understand that questions have been asked on the forum about how multiple conversions in an account work but how does AdWords differentiate between conversions while optimizing campaigns is unanswered.

Thanks for your time

Akshat

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Multiple conversions in conversion optimizer

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Akshat,

So what you are saying is that conversion optimizer does not distinguish between conversions and simply maximizes their number.

You are correct. Conversion optimizer will help you to get most conversions for your budget.

That way I cannot predict which conversion shall be optimized on when conversion optimizer is activated. Neither can I specify different CPAs for each conversion. Is that correct?

Correct, if you have different types of conversions, all in one campaign, conversion optimizer will maximize the total number of conversions for your budget. You cannot optimize only a single type of conversion within a campaign.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Deepak

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Akshat,

With Conversion Optimizer, the goal is getting you the most conversions for your budget. And you no longer need to adjust your bids manually to reach your conversion goals.

But it works on your historical conversion data. It just considers the historical number of conversions in your campaigns, not the types of conversions (purchase or sign up) nor the value you assigned to your conversions.

For you conversions are different based on their value to you (purchase vs sign up), but for conversion optimizer both are same.

The basic criteria to enable conversion optimizer is that the campaign should receive at least 15 conversions in the last 30 days. But this number (15) can be 14 sign ups and 1 purchase.

Find more information about conversion optimizer here

Deepak

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for info Info Smiley Happy

So what you are saying is that conversion optimizer does not distinguish between conversions and simply maximizes their number. 

That way I cannot predict which conversion shall be optimized on when conversion optimizer is activated. Neither can I specify different CPAs for each conversion. Is that correct?

Thanks

Akshat

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Akshat,

You are correct. Conversion optimizer will help you to get most conversions for your budget.

Correct, if you have different types of conversions, all in one campaign, conversion optimizer will maximize the total number of conversions for your budget. You cannot optimize only a single type of conversion within a campaign.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Deepak

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Deepak. That was most useful.

For the skeptic in me could you please share the source of this information. The AdWords help article you shared earlier does not mention conversion optimizer's inability to distinguish between conversions.

I hope this comes across in the right tone.

Thanks
Akshat

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Akshat,

Conversion optimizer is designed to optimize the number of conversions within a specific budget.  It will not consider the ‘type’ of conversion as a decisive factor during this process. Find more information about the factors conversion optimizer takes into account here.

Hope this helps,

Deepak

Multiple conversions in conversion optimizer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there Akshat

and to everyone else who are going to reach this discussion in search for an answer.

Even though it was not possible previously to distinguish between conversions, now it's very easy to do it from your conversion settings. You just need to "tell" Google which one(s) of your conversions to optimize for.

Adding here the instructions from Google:

1. Sign in to your AdWords Account.
  2. In the upper right corner, click the tool icon , and under "Measurement", click "Conversions".
  3. Click the name of the conversion action that you want to edit.
  4. Click Edit settings.
  5. Click Include in “Conversions”.
    • Tick the box if you want to include these conversions in your “Conversions” column.
    • Untick the box if you don’t want to include these conversions in your “Conversions” column.
  6. Click Save, then click Finished.

PS: the conversions that you'll choose not to include in this column will still be registered (you can see them in your 'all conversions' column), but AdWords will only optimize for the ones included in the 'conversions' column.