AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple conversions for single account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am an agency and have a single adwords account.

I have several adword campaigns and wish to track conversion individually for each campaign.

I didn't see anywhere how you assign a conversion to campaign - if that is event possible?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple conversions for single account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello ace1977,

Welcome to the community.

Are you managing mulitple campaigns for different clients? If that is the case then I suggest you look into getting a My Client Centre (MCC). It acts as an umbrella account which allows you to link client accounts to thus enabling you to navigate and manage the different accounts with ease all under one login.

If you are wanting to track different conversions for different goals then it's a case of creating unique conversion types.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the quick answer.

I am the single account - I am the only customer to be billed.

Think of it as - I have 2 web sites - 1 selling shoes and 1 selling socks.

I have to adword campaigns - 1 for the shoes and 1 for the socks.

I want each campaign to display it's own conversion..

What you are saying is I need to create types of conversions?

Where in the campaign details do I assign the type of conversion I wish to work with in the campaign?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi ace1977,

Thanks for explaining.

I would recommend generating a "socks" conversion code which will be placed on the socks site and then generate a separate "shoes" conversion code which will be placed on the shoes site. If someone completes a conversion on the shoes site then it won't register on the socks campaign as the conversion tracking code is different.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Am having a similar problem... so with the above scenario, what would adwords report is someone clicked on a PPC add for the shoes site but then through site linking ended up buying socks from the other site? 

Thanks

Wahid

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Wahid,

The conversion tracking code would be activated on the socks site and therefore reported on the socks campaign as a conversion. If you are using two sites with different conversion tracking codes it would be the equivalent of someone going to your website and eventually buying on my website, there is no connection between the two.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So you are saying the adwords capaign is "smart" enough to recongnize the specific conversion relevant for him?

Will this also work if the URLs from all ads in both campaigns go to the same "thank you page" - and in it I will
dynamicaly display the JS snippet for the proper conversion -

Example -

I defined 2 conversion -  shoes & socks.
a person ordered shoes - in the thank you page I dynamicaly enter the shoes JS snippet.
a person ordered socks - in the same thank you page I dynamicaly enter the socks JS snippet.

Will the campaigns will know to keep track each one with his own conversion?

Many thanks.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

The code identifies which keyword / placement, ad group and campaign led to that particular conversion so this distinguishes the difference between the two.

If the URL is the same in your example then it's not going to work. You will record two conversions for each transaction, one for each conversion type as they are both being triggered due to the person reaching that page. You mentioned that you have two sites so it makes sense that each site will have it's own unique "Thank You" page. 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Perhaps just to further clarify...

The conversion is recorded when the script is executed - so any visit to the page will trigger the execution. AdWords will only report these conversions back in AdWords if the visit came from an AdWords visitor - i.e. someone who clicked on an AdWords ad to get to the page - this is unlike goal completions in Analytics that will record page visits from all visitors (although they can then be segmented by source - camapign, ad and keyword for example).

But the thank you page cannot make any distinction between the visitors. It only knows that the page was reached. Thus, as Scotty explains, YOU need to know that a visitor landing on this page came from a particular source - hence two thank you pages makes most sense.

Bear in mind that if you have two sets of conversion code on a page every visitor will register two conversions when in fact there was only one - your cost per conversion just halved!! - but not really.

If a client goes to the socks page as an AdWords visitor, and then leaves the page and goes to the shoes page, unless you set up cross domain tracking, it will come in as referral traffic.

As an alternative approach, if you set up the thank you page as a goal in analytics, you can then import that back into Adwords as a conversion - this will then only trigger once per visit and would be able to identify the original source (with cross domain tracking implemented).

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Thanks Steve, very well explained Smiley Wink