AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple conversions and smart bidding

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, please imagine the following scenario for an account:

- 3 campaigns

- 3 different types of conversions (eg. lead, download, purchase - all imported from GA)

- campaign A should be optimised for lead

- campaign B should be optimised for download

- campaign C should be optimised for purchase

- each campaign, besides its own type of conversion, also converts for the other 2 types, but not as often

- conversion rates for lead or download are much higher than purchase

So now the question, how (and what type, CPA/ROAS/...) can I use smart bidding for each campaign when bids for campaign A should only consider "lead" conversions, campaign B for downloads, and so on?

Thanks!

Ricardo

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ricardo F
September 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pankaj,

It's something that I didn't consider before, but I believe the problem would remain, I'm afraid. Keyword A from campaign A would still convert for the other 2 types of conversion.

In the meantime I got another suggestion from a Google rep, which would imply setting a different account for each campaign, and therefore each account with only 1 type of conversion. A bit cumbersome, as the Google rep admitted.

But after yours and Google's reply I figured out that the problem is not so much a limitation of the bidding system (although it would be great if it could optimise bids by type of conversion) but a business limitation for not having a well-defined conversion value attributed to the non-purchase goals.

Thanks again,

Ricardo

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ricardo,

You can use the automated bidding strategies which are applicable from campaign level to the keywords level as well. Based on the specific methodology that you would like to use, you can choose the appropriate one and implement that. Here are more specific insights:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2979071?hl=en

Hops this helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ricardo F
September 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pankaj,

It's something that I didn't consider before, but I believe the problem would remain, I'm afraid. Keyword A from campaign A would still convert for the other 2 types of conversion.

In the meantime I got another suggestion from a Google rep, which would imply setting a different account for each campaign, and therefore each account with only 1 type of conversion. A bit cumbersome, as the Google rep admitted.

But after yours and Google's reply I figured out that the problem is not so much a limitation of the bidding system (although it would be great if it could optimise bids by type of conversion) but a business limitation for not having a well-defined conversion value attributed to the non-purchase goals.

Thanks again,

Ricardo

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The Google rep was right and wrong. Multiple accounts is against Google policy, if you are promoting the same site to the same location. But conversion values is a good suggestion.

When you create a conversion for something like a form fill, you can add a value. It would be good for your business overall to determine what a lead and a download are worth to you. This information will help you use smart bidding, but also be of value to any other form of advertising you use. Even if determining the values could only be done manually and would take many hours, it would be a worthwhile exercise.

Also, perhaps reconsider your goals and get a fresh set of eyes to look at your AdWords campaigns. If ultimately you are wanting people to purchase, it might be best to aim for that conversion from every campaign, regardless of how you are promoting it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unbelievable that this isn't possible in AdWords.

In Facebook, you just select Conversion Optimization in your Ad Set (equiv to AW's Ad Groups), and tell it which conversion to optimize for. 

I was really hoping to expand beyond FB, that AW would help me get a lot more targeted volume, but this is a fatal flaw in the platform. Crazy.