AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple ad clicks and multiple conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let’s say I have 3 campaigns and 1 repeatable conversions.

The user clicks on Campaign 1. (I mean one of the ads from that campaign.) They do not convert.

The next day the same user clicks on Campaign 2. Then they convert once.

At this point, how is the conversion count recorded? How is the conversion count recorded? Do I get them recorded two times? I hope I don’t. If not, which advert will record them?

The next day the same user clicks on Campaign 3. Then they convert five times.

How many times get the conversion values recorded? Which campaign gets the conversions?

Thank you.

PS: I think this is not described on the help pages.

Re: Multiple ad clicks and multiple conversions

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
The first concept to understand in your reports are conversions and converted clicks. Conversion count is going to show how many total conversions there were, regardless how many came from the same click. Converted clicks are going to show you how many unique clicks were converted. It doesn't matter how many times they convert. These two are essentially the old version of many-per-click and 1-per-click.

For the rest of your question, you'll want to take a look at attribution reports. You can find more info about it here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722023?hl=en

This will show you all the pathways people took that ultimately led to a conversion. You can look at things like first-click attribution, assisted conversions, etc.
On the main level dashboard, conversion counts are applied to the last click that led to the conversion. This is why the attribution report is so useful.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, David.

"On the main level dashboard, conversion counts are applied to the last click that led to the conversion. This is why the attribution report is so useful."

This might be an issue. I am running CPA campaigns right. I would like to migrate to ROAS as soon as I have enough data for the new conversion. The new conversion has high repeat rate.

However, I’m running two special campaigns that are not CPA but top page bids. They have a single keyword: my brand’s name. I read it’s a good idea and I think it is indeed. First of all, people often type the domain name into the search field instead of the url. It’s crazy how many returning visitors come this way. Also, my competitors tend to use my brand as keyword.

I get hundreds of clicks on these two campaigns. Fortunately, using my brand as a keyword is cheap even for the top page.

Now imagine that I set all my "normal" campaigns to ROAS. The conversion I want to use has a high repeat rate. As soon as people click on my brand-name campaign, the repeated conversions will be lost for the ROAS campaigns.

Is there a solution?

UPDATE: I found this but I don’t know how to set the attribution model for a ROAS strategy. Is it possible? https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1662518?hl=en

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
I don't follow why it would be lost. Conversions that are repeated by the same user are reported in the Conversions column. Target ROAS uses conversions, not converted clicks I believe.

To be honest, I don't understand why you would want to use ROAS for a brand campaign. I'd keep it top of page because you should have a better QS than your competitors, and you should convert way better than them as well. I like to bid aggressively on brands where the above criteria are true. It keeps the adrank necessary for competitor ads to trigger ad extensions and appear in the top slot high. This makes it even harder for them to compete for the brand keywords that don't belong to them. This means based on their QS and what they can afford to bid on your brand should keep them in the sidebar with few or even no ad extensions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello David,

I do not want to use ROAS for the brand campaign. Why would I? But it doesn’t matter.

Let’s say user clicks on Campaign 1 (ROAS). They have a couple of conversions.
Next day they click on the brand campaign. It doesn’t matter what bid strategy it has.

If the future conversion values will be accounted for the brand campaign, Campaign 1 will have invalid values. It will be lower than it should be. Actually, I want the users click on the brand campaign as little as possible. But it still takes away the conversion values from Campaign 1 based on what you wrote in the first reply.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Merl M
January 2016

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
I understand what you are saying now. I don't think it's fair to say it will have "invalid values." It's all going to be relative to the value you have assigned to the conversion, and how often the scenario you are describing actually happens. I'd consult the attribution report to see for sure how often that happens.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If the conversion would repeat few times it wouldn’t be a problem. It could just show me that it’s good to have the brand campaigns.

Currently, I’m using a conversion for the CPA campaigns that is rarely repeated at all. It has no assigned value because I can’t even guess its value. (The site is free right now). It still works way better than the "Maximize clicks" strategy for getting returning users.

The conversion I’m planning to use with ROAS is completely different. It’s repeated *many* times over time. It is repeated on certain page loads.

I want to switch to it because I figured out a way that makes me able to guess the value of this conversion. The value actually varies.

The new conversion is not yet counted in the "conversions" column as it would ruin the CPA strategies completely. I see it in the "All conversion value / costs" column. It already shown me surprising things about my campaigns.

Let’s say the user clicks on Campaign 1, repeats this new conversion 10 times. Next day the user clicks on the "brand campaign" and repeats the conversion 500 times. Campaign 1 ROAS is completely ruined. This would happen often. I had hundreds of clicks on the brand campaigns each day. Most of them are returning users who would come back anyway. I just spent some extra money on making their lives easier. Existing users did not repeat the old conversion so it was okay for the CPA campaign.

But the new conversion is repeated many times per visit.

Right now I see no other solution than turning off the brand campaigns.

Anyway, you helped me a lot. I didn’t even know what Attribution was until today. Also, your hint helped me to find out that I have to turn on the cross device conversions setting for the new conversion that will be repeated many times.

So thank you.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
I don't think I would turn off your brand campaign. It's important to understand that you have to assign a value to a conversion in order for target ROAS to work, or for ROAS to even be calculated for that matter. If there is no value on a conversion, a return on the ad spend cannot be calculated.

That's why in my previous post I mentioned that it's all relative to this value. If someone completes a conversion 500 times in a session, it doesn't sound like that this conversion can have a significant monetary value. If the value is low, then this potential skewing of data you are talking about shouldn't be that big of deal in my opinion. It sounds like to me that ROAS is not the way to go for any kind of campaign you are running.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The CPA campaigns get a single conversion when a new user signs up to the site.

User "A" signs up and keeps visiting my site for two years, she spends 3 hours per day on it. User "B" signs up and keeps visiting the site for 6 months, he signs in two times per week. User "C" signs up and never comes back.

These three users generate 3 conversions in total for my CPA campaign. AdWords will think they have the same value for me. It spends the same amount of money on converting them.

On the other hand, the repeated conversion tells AdWords which users like my site and stay for a long time. The assigned value is fine-tuning. The repetition tells whether they are still there.

The numbers from the new conversion are already helping me. I have two campaigns for a certain audience, a display-only and a search-only. The search campaign tends to be 150% more expensive as cost / conversion. I tried to optimise it as much as I could. Then I accepted that the display performs better for the given audience so I spent more money on it.

Since I have the new conversion (which is not used by the conversion optimiser but shown as data), I can see that people who signed up from the search campaign spend more time on my site. Even when the cost / conversion is 150% of to the display’s, the search campaign’s users’ value seems to be higher.

This is not surprising, people who actively searched for my product might need it more than people who liked the colors or pictures of my display adverts.

I have three another campaign pairs where the search-only campaign already performs better in cost / conversion. But it’s the repeated conversion that tells me how much better they actually perform. Exact numbers can be better than theories.

I think the ROAS bidding could focus on converting long-time users. It would be nice to be able to set it to first click attribution.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the taking the time to explain that. I think you should consider changing how you are defining a conversion. I think you should also consider (if possible) tracking A. B, C as different values. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I believe with Google Tag Manager you can setup some elaborate conditions for when the conversion code fires. You personally should be able to setup something that at least a ignores type C if you wanted to go that way. A knowledgeable person could probably create something that tracks all 3 and lets you assign a different value to each. That seems to be the root problem. You aren't effectively communicating the value of conversions to the Adwords system.

I get the gist of what you are saying. It's clear you've really thought this out. The only point I'm trying to make is that with a ROAS campaign you have to assign a real value to start. I personally think that ROAS is best for an ecommerce type situation where each conversion has a real transaction value assigned to it. If you could figure out how to use Google Tag Manager to track scenario A, B, and C as different values you assign, that would be most useful for a target ROAS.

You might want to check out the GTM product forum here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/tag-manager

I've never used it for something this complex, but I can tell you it's very powerful. I showed this to some developers who aren't on the ad side of things, and their jaws dropped. I will be very surprised if you cannot find a real, workable solution here that resolves all your concerns.