AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple Conversions triggered from past GSN click from single ad.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an interesting question.

I have set up adwords conversion tracking on a thank you page, which is a php page on the server side.
Every time a new person creates a purchase, he is sent to that page and a conversion tracking code is fired which catches the total cost of the purchase. Every time each user makes a transaction, multiple php pages are created on session ID, either showing a failed result, or a successful transaction on the thank you page.

Lets say a week back i clicked on my own ad, forgot about it, and today,i start accessing the thank you pages through the url (accessible through url by increasing or decreasing value in example.com/order_number=1223, example.com/order_result=1224...etc)

My adwords account is showing me outrageous conversions values from a week back, on investigating, i found out that the previous weeks ad click triggered the session for all the peopl who had a successful transaction in the thank you page, and the purchase value registered a hit across multiple users who may not even clicked on the ad!

So i virtually made people click on the same ad and registered a conversion in my account, without them actually clicking the ad.

Will the gclid store the time value of the time the ad was clicked first by me, or change with the time i accessed the thank you pages.

Although my employer will be happy, will google penalize me for this?

Thanks,
Sector A

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Multiple Conversions triggered from past GSN click from single ad.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sector.
To answer your question, no, Google will not penalize you for this so you've nothing to worry about there.

As for the conversions, it's likely that it's only YOU triggering the conversion as you had the cookie from clicking on the ad. AdWords will not trigger a conversion from simply showing the conversion tracking code. Essentially, it has to "match" the ad click. It can happen multiple times once it's matched though.

It sounds like you have it set up correctly now. Remember though, use the keyword diagnostics tool to test your ads.

Let me know if you have any further questions.