AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple Conversion tracking question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the best way use conversion tracking to a form page and also to the form's thankyou page without using Google Analytics, only Adwords.

In other words, we're already tracking who goes from the Ad's landing page to the request appointment form.  Now we also want to see how many of those that go to the form actually fill it out.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple Conversion tracking question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Diane,

Welcome to the AdWords community Smiley Happy

Conversion tracking is used to track the conversions/lead/sales, thus conversion tracking code is to be implemented into thank you page.

If you install the conversion code into landing page/ form page, so this is not a good practice, in this case AdWords reflects conversions and clicks, both are equal numbers, thus is useless to track.

You can track the numbers of leads/conversions, for this you need to implement the conversion script on thank you page.

Please follow the below link for more info:-
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722054?hl=en

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much for your help, however, the the form page is not the landing page.  Once they click the ad, they go to a landing page with a button that they need to click to go to the form page.  We want to track who clicks the button and goes to the form page and then who actually fills out the form.  How can I track both in Google Adwords?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Diane C
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Diane,
Apologies for the long, confusing response, but I do think it's possible, just will take a little work on your end.
To build on Rakesh's answer, you could probably do this by using Google AdWords Conversion Tracking - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3236114?hl=en

Basically, what you would add the Form Page as a Conversion, and then add the AdWords Conversion Tracking code to the Form Page.

Then, you'd add the "Thank You for filling out the Form" page as a Conversion and add the Google AdWords Conversion Tracking code to the page.

This will allow you to see what visitors from AdWords made it to the Form page, and then what visitors from AdWords who made it to the Form page successfully completed the form. You could see these numbers reported in AdWords. I think this would be the quickest and easiest way to do this...

-Or you could create a Custom Combination List - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549111?hl=en
This will also allow you to do the same thing. You just won't be able to see the Conversions reported like the first way does. Hopefully this helps and feel free to post more questions if you need help!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Diane C
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Diane,

I want to share with you my opinion about "What is the best way use conversion tracking to a form page and also to the form's thankyou page without using Google Analytics, only Adwords." : 

Answer : create 2 conversions in adwords, give them different names and install the 2 codes in the 2 pages , the form and the "form completion Thank you page". 

Then you will be able to count "how many" conversions were completed from paid traffic and you have access to other information related to conversions such as what keywords generated the conversion.

An observation here. Conversion tracking in AdWords will count conversions only if the visit to the Form or the "Thank you page" are made after clicking on an AdWords Ad. In Analytics the equivalent of conversions , the Goal Completions, count also Goals from other types of visits such as Direct, Referral,Organic besides "Paid Traffic".

So you will not be able to count the same in AdWords as you did in Analytics.

By using Analytics you will see more Goal Completions than by using AdWords Conversion tracking. To compare both metrics use this informative table , look at the "Attribution Source" row : https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2679221?hl=en

----------------------------------

On the other hand I believe the "Custom Combination List " from message 4 has little to do with counting visitors from 2 pages, even if on the surface it seems a work-around to counting a total of "how many".

The numbers you see in the Remarketing Audiences are volatile, as soon as the visitors delete their browser cookies , they dissapear from the audiences .Your "Custom Combination list" count means only "how many visitors visited those 2 pages AND didn't delete their remarketing cookies" and this count could be zero after 6 months.

The conversion tracking however is a persistent count which remains in your account database, independent of what users do at their end.

The different purpose : "custom combination lists" are for remarketing, not for counting conversions and values of conversions to give you an image of your accounts profitability.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for your help.  I've got it setup now and I'm going to report the two conversions side by side using this handy tool  http://www.marketflare.com/adwords-reporting-tool/ 

Thanks again!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi all,

Is there a way to see multiple conversion events (different category like sign up vs checkout) side by side in the column. Right now, Adwords places each category on its own row so it is extremely hard to parse out the data and compare cost per sign up across multiple campaigns / ad groups.

Diane - How is MarketFlare working out for you so far?

Thanks,
Jonny

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh it looks like Adwords just rolled out custom columns so we can look at multiple conversion events or cost per conversion side by side on the column, yay! https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAds/posts/4o45Y2e1GE3