AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Mixed up data in Conversion Data + Actual Signups

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have setup Conversion tracking on my thankyou pages which users reach after signup up for our product.

Now in the adwords conversion metric I can see that Thank You Page has got - 34 Conversions. But actually I received only 10 actual Signups in our Database .

The metrics for conversions are Many Per Click - how do we get the correct data so that we can verify it against the actual numbers of singups we are receving against what google is telling us in adwords?

Anyone facing the same Issues.

Aditya

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Mixed up data in Conversion Data + Actual Signups

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Aditya,

As you already said above, when you look at the Conversions data for the web pages which received conversions (under Tools and Analysis>.Conversions), Adwords show you the Conversions (many-per-click) stats and not Conversion(1-per-click) stats.

This means that if somebody clicked your ad and filled up the sign up form multiple times, it will be recorded as multiple times inside Conversions (many-per-click) data but will be recorded as 1 unique Conversion in Conversions (1-per-click) stats, within 30 days of that particular click.

I would suggest you to look at Conversion (1-per-click) data to understand the actual sign ups happened.

Another reason could be wrong implementation of Adwords Conversion Tracking script. Please make sure that you have included it only on thanks pages and not on any landing page, which could lead to data discrepancies.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Aditya,

As you already said above, when you look at the Conversions data for the web pages which received conversions (under Tools and Analysis>.Conversions), Adwords show you the Conversions (many-per-click) stats and not Conversion(1-per-click) stats.

This means that if somebody clicked your ad and filled up the sign up form multiple times, it will be recorded as multiple times inside Conversions (many-per-click) data but will be recorded as 1 unique Conversion in Conversions (1-per-click) stats, within 30 days of that particular click.

I would suggest you to look at Conversion (1-per-click) data to understand the actual sign ups happened.

Another reason could be wrong implementation of Adwords Conversion Tracking script. Please make sure that you have included it only on thanks pages and not on any landing page, which could lead to data discrepancies.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have checked my 1 per clikc which is way higher than what signups I actually received,

I placed 3 codes initially on landing, signup and thankyou and now I changed it only to thankyou page. Is this the reason due to which my 1 per clikc metrics is also not matching up with the actual signups we received?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again,

I placed 3 codes initially on landing, signup and thankyou and now I changed it only to thankyou page.

Yes, that's the main reason for Conversions to be higher because this javascript code is meant for goal conversion page i.e. when somebody reaches thanks page after filling the sign up form successfully.

I hope that data discrepancies would be far less now because you placed the code correctly on thanks page.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

But what if I have 2 call to actions and then I need to use 2 conversion codes on different thankyou Pages within the same campaign?

Landing page has 2 CTA's - clicking on one and completing it user goes to thankyou page 1 and the other CTA button will take user to another thankyou page - 2

How do I manage this?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I think what you mean here is that if somebody fills up landing page 1 with Call to action 1 and ends up in thanks page1, but if the same person uses another call to action 2 on same landing page 1, ends up in thanks page 2.

As per my understanding, I will use the same Conversion Code and implement it on both thanks pages. By doing this, when I will analyze the data under Tools and Analysis>> Conversions, it will show me up how many people ended up on thanks page 1 and thanks page 2. This will help in identifying which Call to Action is more beneficial.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

How can this happen - If I just generate single conversion code and put it on 2 different thankyou Pages. Under Conversion in adwords I will only see say " Thankyou Page 1 " and the many per click metrics.

How can I see metrics as to who cliked CTA 1 and CTA 2 without putting different converison codes on both different thankyou pages?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Why don't you create 2 separate landing pages with unique CTAs and then include the Conversion Tracking on both thanks pages? It will help you take better business decision as per my experience.

Conversion Tracking is at the account level. You can create different actions if you have different objectives like evaluating sign ups, lead or purchase order.

Additionally, linking Adwords with Analytics will help you take even more informed decisions.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Will get too messier for me I think.

I had a doubt in the Conversions > Searc Funnels. That shows a different conversion metric that the Conversion - Many per Click metric.

Do that Seacr Funnel Conversion Metric take into account conversions made by directly visitng the landing pages or only when someone clicks the ads and then visits the pages and completes a conversion?