AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Mixed conversions with Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi pro's!

I got a theoretical question I can't find an answer by myself.

My client sells bikes and bikeparts like bells, brakes and so on.
If a visitor clicks on an ad for a bike with a high cpc and decides not to buy the advertised product but a cheap bell, will this count as a conversion to the specific ad wich lead the visitor to the shop (product-page)?

And if so, in my opinion, this would ruin the stats. Because a high cpc will result in a low-value purchase. 

I got no evidence for this to happen nor do I have any clue how I could discover it. Do you? Am I wrong?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Krisha (Community Manager)
April 2016

Re: Mixed conversions with Ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Chris.

I'm sorry to say that, but it happens all the time. People click an ad for something and buy something else. Which is, in my opinion, way better than clicking an ad and not buying anything at all. The conversion script will record any conversion, regardless of the origin of the click, since it usually fires on the thank you page.

If you have Google Analytics installed (and you should have it as it's the only Analytics package fully integrated with AdWords) you can compare the purchased product with the landing page, the search term, the keyword, ad group, campaign, etc. that triggered the ad clicked. That's how you can see if they came for something and left with something else.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Mixed conversions with Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Calin!
This helped me a lot.

I will look for a way to measure and compare my stats as you told me.