AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Missing gclids

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have auto-tagging turned on in AdWords and most of the time the traffic going to our landing pages contains gclid as a querystring parameter. However, occasionally it does not. While reviewing the IIS log files, anywhere from 5% up to 14% of the landing page requests do not have gclid parameters. The rest of the querystring parameters are there and populated so it isn't the result of a bad 301 redirect. I have also eliminated all of the requests by bots. There is no consistency in which page requests are missing the gclids or in the referring sites. Why are some of the page requests missing the gclid parameter?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Missing gclids

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi KrisAmOne,

You say you have eliminated all requests by bots. You haven't blocked all bots, other than AdsBot? That would allow search engines to index your landing page and to show that page in SERP organic results. Clicks on organic results won't include the gclid.

You also say "the rest of the querystring parameters are there and populated". Are these Value Track parameters, or something else?

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No bots are blocked, although all PPC landing pages have noindex on them. When I calculated the percentage of missing gclids, I eliminated all page requests by bots so as not to overstate the percentage of missing gclids. The rest of the querystring parameters are only those found in our AdWords destination URLs, some of which are populated by Value Track parameters. I can understand some bots using the destination URLs anyway, but how would the Value Track parameters be populated if not coming from Google? Google is also in the IIS log files as the referring source.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi KrisAmOne,

That's why I was asking. If the Value Track parameters are being populated, I don't know why the gclid would not be also.

I'm going to escalate this to Google support.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
any luck here????

i also have some campaigns that do not sent the gclid parameter....and o do not know why!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, not really. I started working with Google support directly. They kept coming up with reasons why it could be missing, but it was all the same reasons you can find in an internet search. I kept responding on how it was not what they suggested and provided all the documentation to show why each of their reasons was not applicable in this case and could be eliminated.
One of their responses was:

there are automated checks (Google Analytics Diagnostics) now to verify that auto-tagging is working correctly or not. So far it has not diagnosed any irregularities in your setup

Since most of our PPC landing page requests had a gclid and it was working well enough for us, I gave up and stopped wasting my time with their run-around.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Did you ever resolve the problem? We are also seeing gclids missing for about 5% of the clicks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No, I just gave up and learned to work around the discrepancies.

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question. 

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.