AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Missing Search Partners Conversions in Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I manage multiple lead generation programs and across each program, I experience the same tracking issue: Search Partner lead conversions are tracked in Google Analytics, but not in Adwords. I do have auto-tagging enabled. How can I get these conversions to show up in Adwords?

I am considering doing an 'offline conversions' import into Adwords simply to optimize and report more accurately. However, can anyone tell me if "Adwords Criteria ID" (from secondary dimension > advertising) is the same as GCLID?

Thank you,

Rose

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Missing Search Partners Conversions in Adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Rose. I'll have to think more about your first issue, but the answer to the gclid-related question is definitely no (https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/reference/v201406/AdGroupCriterionService.Criterion)
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Quick thought: when comparing conversions between Analytics and AdWords please keep the following in mind: AdWords assigns a conversion to the date of the last ad click while Analytics assigns it to the day when the conversion occured.

So if you have a three days journey such as: referral - adwords - organic (converted), AdWords will register the conversion on the date of the second visit and attribute it to itself while Analytics will register an organic conversion on the day of the third visit.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Calin,

Thank you for response. Regarding the gclid - would you know if there is any way to extract that from Analytics? The only identifiers I see are as follows: Adwords Ad Group ID, Adwords Campaign ID, Adwords Creative ID, Adwords Criteria ID, and Adwords Customer ID.
However, the offline conversion import requires the gclid.

Regarding the conversions, here's an actual example from August:
Adwords = 22 conversions (10 Google Search, 12 Search partners)
Analytics = 109 conversions (5 Google Search, 104 Search partners)
Client side leads received = 100+

What is interesting in the Adwords interface is that the total 'Clicks' show only 105 --- very near the total conversions actually received.

The client-side data shown is accurate. I have confirmed the leads include real people and real contact information.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Rose, please check how you're counting conversions in AdWords: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3438531?hl=en&ref_topic=3165803

Could this be the culprit?

Offline conversions require capturing the gclid manually and submitting it with the lead form (analytics strips it from the URL and you can't get it from there).

But most likely you don't need offline conversions. If Analytics knows it's an AdWords conversion so should AdWords. And you can use Analytics conversions in AdWords as well if you want (they can be imported from linked accounts).

Let us know if a misconfigured conversion type is the cause of your problems.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Any news on this, Rose? I'd really like to know what the issue was after all.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Calin,
Thanks for checking in. I verified that our Adwords conversions are set up appropriately. One development I have discovered is that Google Search clicks come through as a http status code of 200. When I tested a Search Partner (AOL) code, it rendered as a 302. Have you ever heard of this happening? I can't seem to find any literature that discusses this phenomenon.

Two days ago, I set up the Analytics import in my Adwords account. However, I don't see the goal available yet in my columns menu. I read it may take a few days to import. But, it will definitely be helpful to see. Thank you for that suggestion.

Rose

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
That's probably it then, Rose. If gclid is lost on redirect (302), AdWords will register the click but not the conversion.

But I wonder how does Analytics know that it's a Search Partner conversion if the redirect happens ...

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
In hindsight, I think I didn't quite understand what you meant so the above message is pretty useless, Rose.

Did you mean that upon performing a conversion originating from a Search Partner click the conversion code fires and the response to the conversion request has a 302 header?