AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Missing AdWords Ecommerce $$ AdWords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 1
Top Contributor Alumni

I've searched the forum (Yes! I really did!) but am not seeing the precise issue.

I have a client who recently set up ecommerce tracking for their website. The code seems to be working and it's collecting sales data and figures for everything except sales triggered by paid search traffic. I see data for how many ecommerce transactions were completed by PPC visitors, but the associated dollar figures are always zero.

Anyone seen this happening before? Any ideas on how to fix it? 

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Missing AdWords Ecommerce $$ AdWords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Theresa and welcome to the forum (sorry, couldn't resist).

If you're getting this data from organic/direct visits then the only thing I can think of is that there's something different about the code that's presented when someone comes via Adwords.  Could it be something to do with gclid or bespoke tagging?  Do you treat the parameters of the _addItem method differently for Adwords?

J

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi, Jon, and thank you for the warm welcome to the forum. Smiley Happy

I didn't generate or install the tags--the client activating ecommerce tracking came as a surprise to me. However, your response does at least give me an idea of what to suggest they look at. I'm wondering if the person on the client side who installed the code did something to the _additem when it comes to AdWords. I'll send off the question to them--thank you!

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Theresa,

When you segment GA eCommerce reports for paid traffic, all conversions will show. The ones that came from paid traffic will have non-zero amounts. That's what I've seen, anyway.

I hope this is right! If not, please let me know!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Yes, that's what I expected to see. What I'm seeing are ecommerce "transactions" for paid search traffic with $0 values. 

Frustrating.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Theresa

Here is something i would do to trouble shoot this.

1. Create a custom report with segments as products and Source/medium, Metric as revenue and transactions with filter as revenue=0.
  2. If you see particular set of products which are showing there with zero revenue irrespective of source / medium then this should be a coding issue where revenue for particular set of products is not getting passed on to Google analytics.

Most probably you will get to see 0 revenue from no CPC sources as well. 

I personally dont think there is anything in GA ecom code which has anything to do with source/medium unless coders do it on intention via reading cookies which is very unlikely.

I would sure love to know if you try my suggestions

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

I'm going to try this, theniks, and thank you for the suggestion!

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Theresa,

Question, are you looking at eCommerce for only paid traffic, or are you including additional segments?

Looking at my account, if I select "Paid Traffic" alone, I see no transactions. (I know, kind of a bummer, huh?). But when I include paid, direct and search traffic, I see all transactions have zero dollars reported for paid search.

Is that what your client is seeing?

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords