AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Miscalculation of total daily budget in exported excel ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

In the AdWords interface , the added budgets for all campaigns is calculated correctly , taking into account the shared budgets only once. For example I have

a) 1 campaign with a budget of 100

b) 20 campaigns with a shared budget of 85

c) 4 campaigns with a shared budget of 9  ( average cost per click is 0.1 so this budget can generate 90 clicks per day)

Now in the AdWords interface the daily budget shows up as 100+85+9=194

I also have

d) 5 paused campaigns, each with a budget of 15 , total 75 per day

e) 1 paused campaign , with a budget of 20

When I download the Excel version of the report, only with enabled campaigns, the intersection of the row "Total" with column "Budget" shows 449 . This is more than the total daily budget of enabled and paused campaigns. Why ?

I would have expected to see this total as 194, since I only downloaded enabled campaigns.

The owner of the account asked my why this daily budget is so high so I ended up not having an answer for him.

Re: Miscalculation of total daily budget in exported excel ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

I know for the fact that in the report, shared budget is calculated as a separate for budget for each campaign rather than the total budget for all campaigns which share the budget.

Even taking this fact into consideration, the total budget shown in the report can't be 449. Is the data given by you is correct ?

Regarding the enabled campaign budget thing, It looks like a technical problem with report. The report is calculating the total budget of enabled and paused campaign. If you see the budget report of enabled campaign, the report doesn't show any value of enable campaign in budget column rather it shows the total budget.

I hope I made sense Smiley Happy.

Thanks,
Rahul

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"Even taking this fact into consideration, the total budget shown in the report can't be 449. Is the data given by you is correct ?"

Yes it is correct, can you download a report of your own campaigns to see if the "Total " row gives you the same value as in the interface ?

The Total budget value is not calculated in excel as a formula it should be the exact same value that we see in the interface when we filter enabled campaigns.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

I checked the total budget by downloading enabled, enabled and paused, all campaigns including deleted. In all the reports the total value is same. The report is taking deleted campaigns in calculation.

Though the report shows the shared budget as individual budget of campaigns but in the total budget calculation it is taken as a shared budget. This is the reason why manual sum of total budget will be more than the total budget shown in the report.

But I agree to your point that it should show only budget of enabled campaign as total budget in enabled campaign report. Maybe Google wants to prevent misrepresentation of report thereby showing total budget which include deleted campaign data.

I think the report should show data for individual rows like Total - all but removed campaigns, Total - all enabled campaigns so that there is no confusion.

Thanks,
Rahul

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I see so the deleted campaigns are included in the calculation when downloading the report. This is a programming mistake , i will send feedback about it. Budgets from campaigns from 8 years ago should not be included , it is absurd.

A work around would be to set the deleted campaigns budget to 0.01 to minimize the impact of this error.

Thank you

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

Yes, Feedback will be the right way to go.

Have a nice day.

Thanks,
Rahul