AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Message Extension Question

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried AdWords Message Extension for my account. I have 6 clicks and 1 conversion for my message extension. However, we didn't receive any message when I asked our sales team. I wonder why this happens, and how to deal with it? (Our phone number is a US one and the message text is Mandarin.) Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Duo Y,

The clicks mean there were six clicks on the ad and one is a completed conversion. The completed conversion could have been sent and lost... or it could have be started and aborted by the shopper.   

The first thing I would consider is whether or not your phone number is direct... or forwarded from another. If it is not direct to the phone number that receives text messages, then they are likely dropped somewhere along the way, which happens.

Kind Regards,

James

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Per @James_Clemens they likely clicked on your ad extension to message you, then did not complete the action.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @James_Clemens,

Thank you for the answer. I will double check the phone number. 

So the click number is not the number people click on the message button but the ad? 

Thanks,

Duo

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Duo Y,

You are very welcome. 

A click is registered when a shopper clicks on the message button, which is the same as a click on an ad. 

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see. Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Duo Y
November 2016

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Duo,

I have a response quite different from what everyone else expressed. 

I have experienced similar occurrence with other forms of ad extensions, site links, call and message extensions.

So an ad extension report on AdWords does not actually show how many clicks or conversions the extensions brought in, instead it show the clicks, impressions, and conversions the ad got when those extensions were shown along with the ad.

If you have a bunch of ad extensions like I do, you will notice that they all don't appear with the ad at all times. Sometimes structured snippet extensions show up and sitelink extensions do not show up. Should that ad bring in a conversion the structured snippet extensions will be reported to have brought in one conversion because it is believed that they play a role in making that ad more relevant to the customer.

However, with the introduction of the sitelink section in Gooygle Analytics, I urge you all to check the actual conversions that comes in from the actual click of the sitelinks, you would see that the values differ.

So don't be surprised if you don't get messages but it shows that message extensions brought in a conversion, what it means is the message extension was displayed on the ad that brought in a conversion. 

I urge Google to create an avenue to track other forms of ad extensions with Google Analytics not just the Sitelinks.

Regards.

Dozie.

Re: Message Extension Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dozie,

Actually I realize the situation after I saw Clemens response. I think you
are right that the value of clicks does not equal to the actual number we
got from a specific type of ad extension.

I will definitely look into it and figure out how to get better performance
based on the situation we have right now. Thank you for sharing your
thought in detail with me.

Best,
Duo

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You're welcome. Glad to be of help.