AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Merging data from different conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Suppose you have a site called "Acme Powdered Bleach." When your customers order the powdered bleach, they see a thank-you page once their card goes through, and it has a conversion tracking code block. 

Let's also suppose the same site has a free report to download about how best to use powdered bleach. There's another block of conversion tracking code on the download page. So far so good. 

Now: you want to know - out of the users who downloaded the report - how many of them went on to buy your product. Can this statistic be extracted from the two code blocks, or does something esle need to be added?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dave P
September 2015

Re: Merging data from different conversions

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I think what you are looking to do might be possible in AdWords - first you need to activate the column for conversions (many per click) - if you don't activate this it simply doesn't work ;-)

Then you can segment by conversion name... and you can see which of the two conversion types are reporting

thumb_segment.png

then

thumb_split_conversions.png

Is this what you meant?

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Dave P,

This is just an idea, but I think it will work toward your purposes. Define your 2 conversion types as remarketing lists, then make a 3rd remarketing list that is customers on both lists. The tricky part will be in defining the length of time customers stay on the lists. I'm thinking a 30 day window that will give you the number of people who joined list 3 in the last 30 days.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Unfortunately this is not possible in adwords but this is possible in analytics by using custom variables.

Basically you set a unique number for each download and pass it to GA as custom variable and you should be able to track this under Audience >> Custom >> Custom Variables.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I think what you are looking to do might be possible in AdWords - first you need to activate the column for conversions (many per click) - if you don't activate this it simply doesn't work ;-)

Then you can segment by conversion name... and you can see which of the two conversion types are reporting

thumb_segment.png

then

thumb_split_conversions.png

Is this what you meant?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Dave P,

This is just an idea, but I think it will work toward your purposes. Define your 2 conversion types as remarketing lists, then make a 3rd remarketing list that is customers on both lists. The tricky part will be in defining the length of time customers stay on the lists. I'm thinking a 30 day window that will give you the number of people who joined list 3 in the last 30 days.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Wow I am lost for words Smiley Happy.

@petebardo 's idea about remarketing lists is just amazing and a great example of out of the box thinking. 

God this would have never occurred to me Smiley Happy just amazing theory Pete. Hats off to you.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Wow - me too - I hadn't even understood the original question!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi guys,

That's just what I do. Thanks so much!

It seems like a good gauge if not a true measurement. Adjust the time window according to user behavior, the time between downloading the free report and the purchase. That's might be tough to estimate if you don't have internal tracking as well.

I suppose you could make three remarketing groups as described above with 30, 60 and 90 day windows respectively. The 90 day group would include the 60 day group, the 60 day includes the 30 day group. That would give you a better gauge of 30, 60 and 90 day "return" conversions. It's just an outline of an idea. I'd have to think this through a bit more than I have time for right now. I don't know if you can define 3 different remarketing groups from the same conversion. It may require three sets of remarketing codes on the page.

You don't need to actually create the remarketing campaigns, just the lists. But you might find that people who have downloaded the free report a valuable remarketing list in itself.

Pete

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
... and the PDF download list would be especially useful for RLSA since they are so much closer to purchasing...