AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Measuring the full impact of paid traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,  

I'm trying to provide a client with a more accurate measurement of the effect of paid traffic on conversions. 

They've  been used to measuring CPA directly from paid click to conversion but most of their customers don't behave this way!  They have a high-ticket offering and a lead time often over 90 days.

I've used the Model Comparison Tool to show 'Last AdWords Click' vs 'Last Interaction' to show the difference in conversion numbers and CPA but is there a better way to show this?  And can I incorporate multi-device here too?

Essentially we have several PPC landing pages (which visitors can convert from) but we've seen a number of visitors navigate around the site and convert from other 'contact us' type pages.  How can I best show the visitors who initially  arrive on the landing page but who convert elsewhere often beyond the 30 day AdWords cookie?

We've been encouraging the client to use the AdWords Conversion Import but we keep hitting brick walls with that!

Hope that all makes sense!  

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin F
September 2015

Re: Measuring the full impact of paid traffic

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Martin

I think your best bet is to increase the validity of the cookie in the attribution model, it is true that you can only increase it to 90 days, but this is still better than the 30-day cookie lifetime you have now.

Have you tried other attribution models?. If I understood correctly you want to track users who arrived at (an exclusive) PPC page and later converted. To do this you could use a first click attribution model.

You could also use a staggered approach: say your conversion path usually involves 5 visits (on average). You could say that each visit contributes 20% of the value of the goal or you could say that the first (or last ) are more valuable and use a linear increasing (or decreasing) scale. You could calculate your ROI by using the number of visits on the conversion path that were are sent by adwords (and where in the conversion path are they).

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

J

Re: Measuring the full impact of paid traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi J,

That's really useful, thanks. I like the idea of determining the value of each step towards the goal. I think that's a sensible way to go. It should be reasonably straight forward to explain to non-techies too, which is also one of our challenges!

Thanks again,

Martin