AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Measuring ROI for Local, Bricks & Mortar Businesses

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all,

I work exclusively with local, brick and mortar companies, so one of the biggest challenges that I face is measuring the value of web interactions.  In terms of obvious things (forms, applications, phone calls if they have tracking, etc.), I've got a pretty good system in place, where we basically match up online customers with in-store sales, so I can effectively measure the revenue generated by these types of interactions.  This is great because it allows me to include actual ROI data when reporting to clients.  

However, the problem is that this is a very small percentage of the actual business that this is generating.  I would guess that a much larger number of people go to the website and then go to the store.  I know the approximate value of one customer coming to the store, but I don't know a good way to even estimate the number of people that a campaign is causing to go to the store.  

Something that I think could be important is people viewing the store/directions pages.  However, I definitely don't think it would be fair to count a view of the directions page as being equal to one person visiting the store, so I just haven't been reporting this metric as I don't have a good way of tieing it to revenue.

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on how this could be tied to revenue?  Are there an other measurement strategies that local business can employ? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Measuring ROI for Local, Bricks & Mortar Businesses

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Start by asking customers in store how they found or heard about it.

Maybe you can have a 10% coupon that must be printed from your website.

A printable map or driving directions (and event tracking for that)?

Just some thoughts... As I have a few offline store clients, I know it´s hard.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Maembe,

This is one of the toughest challenges marketers face. I had the same ideas--coupons, discount code, and other things like that.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I think phone tracking could be of some help as well (they probably call you to ask questions about your inventory or a specific product now and then)

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Just to clarify: I am not talking of click-to-call tracking, but more advanced ones, with unique phone numbers and stuff.
http://www.google.com/analytics/apps/results?category=Phone%20Call%20Tracking