AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Match types not working according to definition

N/A
# 1
N/A

I have an issue with search terms that do not work correctly according to the definition of Google. A least in the Swedish language Adwords interpret all Countries and Languages as synonyms. E.g. "Germany" and "German" are interpreted as synonyms. I have several proofs with clicks like:

Keyword: +course +Germany. Search term: "German course Ekenäs"
(In Swedish: ”+kurs +Tyskland”. Search term: tyska kurser ekenäs)

Keyword: +German +in +Berlin. Search term: "Weather map in Germany Berlin"
(In Swedish: ”+tyska +i +Berlin”. Search term: väderkarta i tyskland berlin

Do you have the same problem in English and other languages? This makes it impossible to work with broad match modifiers and the definition by Adwords is incorrect:
"Broad match modifiers ensure that your ads will only show when someone’s search is an exact match or close variant of your keyword. Close variants include misspellings, singular and plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms and stemmings (such as "floor" and "flooring"). Synonyms (such as "quick" and "fast") and related searches (such as "shoes" and "boots") aren't considered close variants."

The Swedish Adword Team has replied that I should work with phrase match instead but it's not as efficient in many situations. Do you agree that they should either change the algorithm or the definition?

Besides, I have the same problem with phrase match, but I'm not sure that the definition of phrase match exclude synonyms like "Italy" and "Italian". Here is my recent example:

Keyword: "Italian Rome". Search term: "Italy Rome sights"
(In Swedish: "italienska Rom".  Search term: italien rom sevärdheter . Phrase match (close variant))

Of course if I work with the phrase match "Italian in Rome" it gets better, but I will miss many possible combinations.

I appreciate your opinion.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

The key word in Google's definition is "variant". They are considering "Germany" as a variant of "German" because there is some relationship between the two and the spelling is not far off as someone could have easily just typed the extra "y".

The only thing you can do is add variations as negative keywords, in this case "germany" as a negative keyword.

N/A
# 3
N/A

OK, I understand your explanation but I do not consider it to be consistent with the Google definition. A country and a language are not ”close variants”.

You say ”there is some relationship between the two”. Google says: ”related searches (such as "shoes" and "boots") aren't considered close variants.

It’s like saying ”apple” and ”pear” are close variants because ”there is some relationship between the two”.

Besides, there is more than just an ”y” that differ in spelling. In Swedish the terms for ”Germany” and ”German” are ”Tyskland” and ”tyska”

I do however appreciate your reply because it makes me understand better how Google thinks. Nobody is perfect (yet)!

I will follow your advice and test with ”Germany” as a negative exact search term, hoping Google will not consider it the same as ”German”!

Anders Å

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

You should have no issues with it excluding Germany. It has to match exactly how you input the negative for Google to exclude it.