AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Massive drop in impressions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I wonder if anyone is able to help me. We have an advert that was generating a good number of clicks and impressions at the end of last year, but from Nov/Dec onwards this figure seems to have decreased to virtually no clicks / no impressions.

Google support have told me there have been no major changes to our account looking back across a 6 month period (which I am aware of!), but I can't understand why the clicks and impressions would suddenly drop on one advert.

I wonder if anyone had any suggestions or ideas as to why an advert might lose clicks.

My campaign type is Search Network with Display Select and the individual campaign is targeting Search. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Massive drop in impressions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If Google checked the account and found no major changes, this sounds as a case of a new competitor which has started to advertise.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

To expand on the very good advice from Sir Moshe, can you use the "Segment" button with the option "Network" you can see if the "massive drop in impressions" is perhaps only from the "Display network" segment ? 

If the drop in impressions (comparing the 2 time months or time-frames) is from the "Search network" segment, can you check if your Average position has decreased from a 1.x or 2.x to a 4.x up to a 10.x ?

For example 6 months ago you could be having an average position on search of 2.2 and now you have a 6.5 , meaning among other reasons, that new competitors could have started to advertise in parallel with you.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Adrian, thanks for your quick response - however, on investigation as per your suggestion it would certainly seem as though if anything, the average position is in fact better than it was in and prior to October so I'm not sure it's a case of competition - surely if that were the case then the competitive ads would not cause the loss of clicks and impressions on one individual advert, but all of my adverts?
Data from the Ad Report regarding the advert in question:

September 2014: 25 clicks/ 7155 impressions
October 2014: 7 clicks / 3469 impressions
November 2014: 0 clicks/ 100 impressions
December 2014: 0 clicks/ 132 impressions
January 2015: 0 clicks / 105 impressions
February 2015: 7 clicks/ 648 impressions

That's an incredibly large drop in both clicks and impressions on the one advert which I am rather puzzled as to why?!

Thanks in advance :-)

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a little confusing

1) When you write about one ""Advert" do you mean 1 Ad from an "Ad Group" in AdWords or an Ad from "AdWords Express".

I know you have written that the campaign is Search network, so it shouldn't be AdWords express, but I am still curious.

2) If it is just about 1 Ad from an ad group, how many other Ads do you have in that ad group  ?

3) What is the statistic for the overall ad group ? From what I understand the ad group (and the keywords from it) did not lose many total clicks/impressions from a month to another.

In this case it could be that the Campaign settings for Ad rotation are influencing how many clicks arrive on a single Ad from many Ads  in the same ad group.

4) What is your Ad rotation for this campaign ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
1) Yes, 1 Advert from 1 Ad Group.

2) There are 12 ads in that Ad group in total.

3) Correct, other adverts in the Ad Group are generating a good number of clicks and impressions and do not appear to have had the same significant loss.

4) Optimise for clicks: Show ads expected to provide more clicks
Should I perhaps consider modifying this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You're saying that "1 Ad out of 12 ads" in an ad group is showing less. If that's the case, them Google is choosing to show the other ads over the one in question.

If you're particular about that ad showing - then pause the other ads or enable ad rotation to "rotate indefinitely". Only choose this option if you're regularly changing ads, which you should be doing.

Just to make sure, the ad group itself - has it lost clicks/impressions?

Also, I'd advise and I'm sure everyone else on this thread would, to change you campaign from "Search with Display select" to "Search only - all features". You can build a separate Display campaign. Say you have them combined, you've been getting a ton of impressions on a particular site and then the site stops accepting a particular ad format, you will instantly see a drop in impressions for a particular ad.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Sam,

After going through your conversation here I have to agree with Greg on this.

1. You said you accumulated good traffic around October and have only recently seen a huge drop in clicks. Optimize for clicks feature does exactly what it says, it optimizes the ad delivery to ensure only those ad copies that can drive more clicks are shown on the SERP. The thing is, you should also look at the number of impressions that you receive for an Ad copy when trying to understand a drop in traffic. if your impressions have dropped as well, it implies that your ad has not been delivering as much as it used to. This automatically answers your traffic query. So like Greg said and I second it, you should ideally change this setting to maybe Rotate Evenly or Rotate Indefinitely. You should see a good change then.

2. I also agree with Greg that you should split up your campaigns into Search & Display network campaigns, get your campaign settings right then and then check on the performance of individual themes, keywords, ad copies, etc.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"