AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Manual Tagging & GCLID + CRM Tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

My company currently uses auto-tagging to track AdWords performance in GA. We would like to start tracking performance via our CRM (Salesforce) as well. From what I can tell, we would need to start adding manual tags (UTM's) in addition to the auto-tagging. I have a few questions:

- Are there any issues that can arise in GA or AdWords reporting by combining both auto-tagging and manual-tagging?

- Is there anyway to dynamically pass keyword and ad group level data using UTM's ? In the past I've only added UTM's to each final URL of the ad and tracked at the campaign level. My company would like to track down to the keyword and ad group via Salesforce.

- Is this where ValueTrack comes in?
              - Should I be using the tracking templates?

I appreciate any help that can come my way.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean G
August 2016

Re: Manual Tagging & GCLID + CRM Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Sean.

You can achieve pretty much everything you want there. I'll try to answer each of your questions.

a) AdWords doesn't mind if you add UTM parameters in addition to auto-tagging. It only used gclid data and its own cookies to populate its reports anyway.
b) Make sure that your Analytics instance is not set to override auto-tagged campaign data with UTM data: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033981?hl=en
c) You can pass the keyword easily using ValueTrack parameters ( https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6305529 or https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6305348?hl=en ). But you can't pass the adgroup (its name). You can either pass the ad group ID or the ad ID (and this ad ID is unique, so if you'd cross-reference an ad ID report with an ad group + ads report you'd be able to find out which ad group that click came from).
d) Tracking templates are a welcome addition to AdWords, since you can edit them any way you want and still keep your ad click data intact in AdWords. Should you choose not to use them, your ads would be replaced every time a parameter would be changed and you'd lose historical click data in AdWords. Just make sure you get the tracking right (there are many scenarios dealing with escaped or non-escaped URLs, redirects, etc. here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6305348?hl=en )

Hope it helps. Somewhat, at least.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Calin,

This is very helpful, thank you. I'm clear on points A & B. I've never used ValueTrack parameters before, so I'm a novice there. How do the UTM's and ValueTrack work together? Would it be something like this "utm_term={keyword}"? Or, if I'm just trying to capture the "keyword" for example for a CRM perspective, do I not even need to use the UTM field?

Thanks,
Sean

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello, Sean. If Salesforce allows you to use any other parameter you can sure use it, so your url can even contain something like kwd={keyword}

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hey Sean,

Calin is absolutely right here. I would suggest you start using Valuetrack parameters & Tracking template as soon as possible. Just keep in mind, if not setup correctly the UTM parameters can overwrite data in GA which will be a big issue for an ongoing campaign. Valuetrack parameters do not disturb your current GA setup and allow you to track data in your CRM easily.

I know for a fact that valuetrack parameters are/can be supported in Salesforce, your Salesforce head/guy should be able to help you setup custom parameters to track in the system.

Since you need to track details on campaign, adgroup and keyword level, you will need to declare the variable for each of these elements in the salesforce system. When this is done, you need to tag your Final URL's in this fashion: ?campaign={campaign}&adgroup=adgroupname&keyword={keyword}

As you can see, adgroup as a parameter cannot be tracked via valuetrack parameters so you will need to declare each of the adgroups in the URL separately (manually) before uploading the ads. FYI - The variables I have used here do not need to be replicated or used as it is, you can declare your own variable but you need to use the syntax with the { } right.

Lastly, I highly recommend that you start using Custom Parameters in your Tracking template as well. These are of great help when you want to implement a blanket tracking template on your account.

Here is are some helpful links:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6076199?hl=en
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Calin and Shashank. Your feedback has been very helpful. It seems like that as long as I have GA not set to override auto-tagged campaign data with UTM data, I will be all set.

I will surely check with our Salesforce team to see if they can get a custom field(s) setup to capture the ValueTrack parameters.

Just for my understanding, is this a valid UTM. Utm_term={keyword}? Meaning, can you dynamically populate values in a utm parameter?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello, Sean.

As you can see here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6305348?hl=en (you'll need to expand the "Final URL, tracking template, or custom parameter" section, the {keyword} value will be dynamically replaced with the targeted keyword.

So for instance if your keyword is "acme", your landing page URL, ending in utm_term={keyword} will look like ... utm_term=acme.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Excellent, thanks for confirming. Appreciate the help.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hey Sean,

Glad we could help you out. All the best with your campaigns!

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Sean - All answers below are 100% valid and will do the job. Yet, if you use additional traffic sources, you will have to make sure the dynamic values are passed into the same placeholders, otherwise the data will not be consistant in your CRM. Since most ad networks have different placeholders / tokens / macros, it makes this task a bit challenging as you'll have to manually create campaign URL's for every landing page, campaign, traffic sources. 

Have you considered using a tracking solution to get over this challenge?

Laurent