AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Managed Placements

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

I have a campaign set up targeting YouTube as a managed placement. I have tried narrowing the targeting down by keywords/topics/etc., however, the campaign hasn't been very successful so I'm just targeting YouTube as a whole at the moment. I did received some traffic this week and was wondering if it is possible to determine what triggered the ad to be clicked on. Was it a keyword someone searched for,  a video relating to the ad topic, or any other details as this would be useful for narrowing down the targeting in the future.

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author WRD
September 2015

Re: Managed Placements

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello WRD !

In analytics go to Traffic sources > Advertising > Adwords > Placements >

Click managed placements, then click youtube.com and chose "secondary dimension" = keyword

You will see something like this, with every video that triggered a click.

youtube_targeting_details.png

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

Have you added keywords?

On the display network keywords work collectively as a theme. The system's "goal" is to match the keywords' theme with relevant pages about  the same topic / subject;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks, Adrian. The only keyword I am seeing in Analytics is 'docvertical::29'. What does this mean?

Moshe - I am not currently targeting keywords. I tried this, but  had no results (no clicks or impressions). The only targeting I have at the moment is YouTube as a managed placement.

Thanks for both your responses!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Have you tried youtube (video) campaign . https://adwords.google.com/video/ You can add keywords for search in youtube and also can add display keywords.

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Anil

No, we haven't tried a video campaign as we don't currently have a video to use. We have been using image ads only.

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It's just a vertical placement that contains some ads. Because the publisher did not properly name it, it got a "default name" the number must mean the width or height in pixels.

Here is a thread that explains it

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/adwords-api/docvertical$3A$3A|sort:date/adwords-api/9JEckxc4aec/pZzS7u0H6WAJ

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
With pleasure. Youtube however uses channels defined by users. To find many channels and target them individualy instead of the whole youtube , use the placement tool in "Tools and Analytics" and write "youtube channel" . In general the accepted banner is the 300 x 250 pixel.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello WRD ,

I owe you an "errata" for your question about docvertical::29 , is and ID for the topic "real estate". I have found this tabel of IDs for all topics while searching some info about the API

https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/verticals

Here is how to edit topics in AdWords editor

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/30517?hl=en

If from the adwords interface you Segment the keyword/placement data for an Ad to see which placements provided the best average position in context targeting, all you see are these "docvertical:: " instead of websites, because they can mean a group of websites. So you actually cannot know which websites provided the best average position or the best CPC, at least this is what I have learned so far.

segment-placements-for-ads-low-avg-pos..png