AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Managed Adwords via Reseller- how to monitor on Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, this may be a really simple question.

After a few months or running Adwords am realising I need to outsource this so am about to sign up with a reseller partner.

As we are buying a "basket of keywords" as they call it related to our profession we won't know until the first 6 week feedback which keywords are the most successful.

Therefore to hedge our bets we are giving the reseller our home page as the landing page.

It's attractive and clear to navigate and as the advert they use might attract a b2b or a b2c client the landing page won't put either sector off immediately.

(When I have run my own campaigns knowing what my advert says has enabled me to link to a specific landing page, apparently this is not possible with this managed account).

In terms of measuring visitor flow I won't have access to the Adwords account, so I cannot link to my existing Analytics.

So in order to track the flow from the Adwords advert, do we just need to create a new home page with an Adwords specific extension?

Will this be sufficient to enable the tracking of Adwords visitors?

many thanks for any feedback!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Managed Adwords via Reseller- how to monitor on Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Crocus, and welcome to the forum.

Run away, run away!  That all sounds terrible to me; it sounds like a "one size fits all" solution of the worst kind and nothing like the way Adwords should be run.  Let's cover some specifics:

1.  We are "buying a basket of Keywords"

Keywords should be tailored to each and every Account. What works for one company may not work for another for a whole host of reasons.  It sounds to me like they're pulling a set of Keywords off the shelf and applying them to you with no thought at all.

2.  6-week feedback

Any reasonable manager/agency would be keeping you in the loop as often and whenever you wanted, especially at the very beginning of the Campaign(s).  To say you can't adjust the Keywords for 6 weeks is just a nonsense.

3.  Homepage as the Landing Page

I'll admit I don't understand what you mean by this, or how it's "hedging your bets".  What you use as a landing page for Ads depends upon the product/service being offered and the range, site, etc. etc.  Your landing page could be the home page of the site, but it could be buried two layers deep, showing a particular product.

4.  Not possible to link to a specific landing page.

Again, this is a nonsense.  You must link your Ads to the right landing page or the Account will never be anywhere near well tuned.

5.  Won't have access to the Adwords account

So they're running your Campaigns under their Account, and they're not letting you see what's in it.  Which means you're giving money to someone without any way of proving the work they're supposedly doing, nor how well or how often they work on "your" account.  By the way, this also means if you decide to leave them (assuming I haven't already persuaded you how bad an idea it is to sign up in the first place) you won't be able to take their Keywords/Ads/Settings with you.

Best practice for professional managers is for the Adwords account to be owned by the client then brought under the MCC (management account) for the Manager.  This way the client always owns the Account, always has access, can remove the manager whenever they want and see exactly what they're doing and when.  It also means the Account is always yours so when you and your manager part company, it's still running as it was when they left.  Of course, this also means you can link the account to your Analytics, Webmaster Tools and YouTube.

By now you've probably grasped that I think this is a bad, bad idea.  This company sounds like my most hated of agencies; offering what they claim to be a "simple" Adwords solution but which in fact is just a way to take money and do as little work as possible.  Avoid at all costs.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I completely agree with Jon.  Nothing to add. Don't mess with these guys.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Crikey Jon, MosheTLV!

This is a "household name", who is now one of the Google Adwords Certified Partners and a Premier SME Partner.

I thought the offering was restrictive but thought this was because our budget is really really low, £100+VAT a month- and the management fee comes out of this budget (undisclosed %).

Based on the "basket of keywords" related to our profession £100 a month would get us about 100 clicks based on their data.

For £500 a month I was told that I would get a bespoke option with more frequent contact.

Now you know our budget do you still think as badly of them? 

(We cannot afford more- literally no more cash as just starting 2ndyr of trading, professional services practice, current annual turnover under £50K,)

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

This is too small budget to outsource. Why won't you continue to manage the account yourself?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the sanity check of our budget.

Re managing myself, I wasn't very successful-  quality score of adverts plummeting from one day to the next and never managing to get them back up, it being a steep learning curve.

I just thought that when really we need to be doing the technical work that we set up to do, this was one of the "business activities" that we should outsource.

But if we don't have the required budget to do anything useful I'll just have to do it rather than "waste" money on the untargeted visitors you think we'll get with this provider.

Many thanks for your advice it's much appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Crocus, the low budget from your financial situation just makes the situation worse, in my opinion.  With the setup these guys are suggesting you'll get very very poor results - especially taking into account what you've said about your own problems.  There's a very good chance your £100 will simply be wasted.

Poor performance of any kind can be related to Adwords itself (poorly chosen Keywords, bad Ad copy, etc. etc.) but it's just as likely to be from a poor website.  If this is the case with your own company, using someone who - by their own admission - is offering you only a token effort at a proper Adwords setup.  Seriously, you're a business owner, just how much work do you think these guys are going to put into running your Account properly for a percentage (probably quite a low one) of £100 per month?

Don't be distracted by promises of X number of clicks either.  The number of clicks you get is totally irrelevant to the performance of an Account.  What's important is whether you get a positive return on your investment.  What would you rather have, 100 clicks per month and 5 sales or 40 clicks per month and 15 sales?  So many Advertisers get obsessed with clicks and they really aren't the best measure of performance; it's yet more evidence of how shallow this company is that they have expressed their value purely in terms of clicks.  I'd also lay a substantial wager with you that "based upon (our) data" means that they've run a Traffic Estimator report within Adwords Smiley Happy

You had bad performance from Adwords and you've blamed yourself.  Now you're going to pay someone to manage it badly and you still won't solve the poor performance.

I couldn't agree more that running Adwords is something you should consider outsourcing, but doing so to a company operating in such a manner is not the answer.  Use us, this forum.  It's free and we can help you solve your problems.  You've already said that Quality Score was an issue; this is a very common problem and can usually be solved with some simple walk through steps to check.

Please, don't throw money at these people until you've at least tried to use our - free - help here.

BTW, don't get swept away by companies being Google Certified Partners.  The requirements for such qualification really aren't that tough and are no guarantee of how the company is run or managed.  

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much, it is very useful to have a mirror held up to one's decisions now and then!

And thank you for the support, it's a very reassurring and welcoming start to my use of the community. You have given me a bit of a confidence boost to try again.

Much appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Good to hear Crocus.  Sorry if I got all ranty there but I hate companies that take advantage of people.

C'mon, give us a question about your account that you'd like answered and let's get the ball rolling to make your Adwords work for you.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much Jon, I have reinstated my Adwords account.

Without wasting anyone's time with a question that I could find the answer to with a bit of a browse, I'll give it a few days and be back!