AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Lower level Custom Parameters in Account Template? (UpgradedURLs)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it possible to build a hierarchical account level template such as the following:

Shared Library> URL options > Tracking template:

http://www.example.com/{_loc}?cvar={_cvar}&avar={_avar}&kvar={_kvar}

Where

{_cvar}, {_avar} & {_kvar} are respectively custom parameters set at the campaign, ad and keyword levels. {_loc} is set at the keyword level if relevant.

Note no tracking templates are defined at the lower levels, only custom variables.

Can we rely on these lower level variables being available to the account template? There is no documentation to this effect. The only relevant guidance is at the account level and it seems only in the context of setting variables and does not tackle if variables are available at the global level.

"Custom parameters aren't available at the account level (set them in campaign, ad group, or ad preferences)"

@AdWordsPMLeo? @Mini-CM? Thoughts?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ajzz
September 2015

Re: Lower level Custom Parameters in Account Template? (UpgradedURLs)

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi there,

All custom parameters are available globally. 

Note that If you define the same custom parameter at multiple level then we will use the value of the lowest entity using the following hierarchy  account > campaign > adgroup > ads > Keywords (Criterion) > Sitelinks (FeedItems)

However, it looks like you're tracking template is not valid because you can not have a shared tracking template without a {lpurl} reference. If you have different landing pages per keywords, those landing pages need to be in your keywords final URL and then referenced using {lpurl}.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ajzz
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi there,

All custom parameters are available globally. 

Note that If you define the same custom parameter at multiple level then we will use the value of the lowest entity using the following hierarchy  account > campaign > adgroup > ads > Keywords (Criterion) > Sitelinks (FeedItems)

However, it looks like you're tracking template is not valid because you can not have a shared tracking template without a {lpurl} reference. If you have different landing pages per keywords, those landing pages need to be in your keywords final URL and then referenced using {lpurl}.

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@AdWordsPMLeothanks for that insight. The priority order is very useful.

Regarding your second point, are you saying the following:

Account level template: {lpurl}/{_loc}?cvar={_cvar}&avar={_avar}&kvar={_kvar}

will not work even if we set {_loc} & {_kvar} at the keyword level unless there is some point in the hierarchy where the final url is defined?

So if the final URL is defined at the ad level and we create {_loc} at the keyword level, the above should work?

Edit: as you may have guessed, I am trying to avoid explicitly setting final urls for every keyword if they can be constructed using suffixes from a custom parameter at a global level. 

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

will not work even if we set {_loc} & {_kvar} at the keyword level unless there is some point in the hierarchy where the final url is defined?

=> the final URL is always defined as it's required for ads.

So if the final URL is defined at the ad level and we create {_loc} at the keyword level, the above should work?

=> correct

Edit: as you may have guessed, I am trying to avoid explicitly setting final urls for every keyword if they can be constructed using suffixes from a custom parameter at a global level. 

=> This is totally possible only if what you're trying to do is set different tracking per keywords.

However, if you're sending people on different pages per keywords (eg., {_loc} is actually a different path on the website), then you need to set the full final URL in keywords.

Please visit the documentation on AdWords policy for more information.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your timely help. I've accepted your first response as the solution. Cheers!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@AdWordsPMLeo
Hello Leo. I've followed your advice on another thread and now want to confirm that what I am doing will not lead to a problem.

I see you have added a "test" button to some accounts but not all. Is that a roll out that is happening now? I suppose that answers my question previously.

But I do have a question about its functionality. If the display url is www.website1.com and landing page final url is www.website1.com and
tracking template is modified at the ad level and is on a different domain because it is a tracking url, let's say for example, www.website2.com/index.html?abcd=1234, is it ok to set the "final url" as simply website.com or should it have the paramaters also? I tried it without the parameters and it said url mismatch, but the landing page is the same in both cases. I read in one of your posts you said "The rule of thumb in your case is that if I click on your tracking template or on your final URL I should see the same thing in my browser."
Thanks.
Jason

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@AdWordsPMLeo

Please refer to the thread at Do you track URLs? Product Manager addresses some FAQs https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/From-the-Community-Team/Do-you-track-URLs-Product-Manager-ad...

To summarize what I asked you and what you replied, I said that I have clients who have multiple ads in rotation in their accounts where each is a unique tracking url.

For example, they have ads like this:

Ad #1 in rotation
display url: www.sitename.com
destination url: www.trackingurl1.com/lots_of_parameters_here

Ad #2 in rotation
destination url: www.trackingurl2.com/lots_of_parameters_here

Ad #3 in rotation
destination url: www.trackingurl3.com/lots_of_parameters_here

Then, based on the questions and answers with you back in April, I had my clients change thousands of ads at the ad level.

The ads now look like this:

Ad #1 in rotation
final url: www.sitename.com
Ad URL Options (advanced) tracking template: www.trackingurl1.com/lots_of_parameters_here

Ad #2 in rotation
Ad URL Options (advanced) tracking template: www.trackingurl2.com/lots_of_parameters_here

Ad #3 in rotation
Ad URL Options (advanced) tracking template: www.trackingurl3.com/lots_of_parameters_here

They were all approved so I assumed that was all that was needed and we were done with this. Some of my clients even contacted their account managers at AdWords and they confirmed the same.

That was 2 months ago. Then upon my request to add the “test” button you guys finally added that, but now when I test every single url, it says final url mismatch. Is this bad, or is this to be expected and ignored as a bug?

Now all or most of the adwords accounts are getting an error message reminding about new changes. Do additional changes need to be made?

The landing page is the same in both cases. I read in one of your posts you said "The rule of thumb in your case is that if I click on your tracking template or on your final URL I should see the same thing in my browser."

Please reply asap so we can make the necessary changes.

Thank you,

Jason

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
Hi All,
Please reach out to your regular AdWords supports for questions.

Thanks

Lower level Custom Parameters in Account Template? (UpgradedURLs)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Please can you explain the execution of Tracking template level defined at:

If defined at Ad Level & keyword Level 

I my case I have multiple ads in each ad group and tracking code added into each keywords final url but when keyword triggered the ads which have Tracking template define i.e. www.abc.com/?rid=2 (the same rid also defined at keyword Final URL which contains a specific item detail page URL and does contain rid=2) but when some one clicked on my ad which contain tracking Temp its redirecting to Home page i.e. www.abc.com/?rid=2 where I though it should be landed on the Keyword defined specific Final URL )

I hope you get my point.

Thanks