AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Lots of Clicks - 0 Sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have an account that has Ads for two of our websites (each one is similar but different) HiddenPassageway.com and HiddenDoorStore.com

Our accounts are linked, when I log in to google analytics, this is what it shows for both of them:

adwords clicks.PNG

There's just zero sessions being recorded except for a couple on that weird (not set) part. 

Do you have any ideas why? Is there some code issue with our sites?

On HiddenDoorStore.com, where it's an ecommerce site, I do have a plugin for Adwords with Woocommerce. But maybe that only measures if they buy something not their session? Either way, shouldn't it be automatic if I have the accounts linked? 

Thank you so much for help!

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you have auto-tagging turned on (or at least manually tagged)? If not, the clicks will show because you have Adwords/GA linked, but the sessions will be attributed to organic.

Re: Lots of Clicks - 0 Sessions

Eva Rising Star
Rising Star
# 3
Eva Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi @Jon H

I am dealing with the exactly same issue right now. I may see some sessions coming from Adwords campaigns, but the number of sessions is 20x lower than a number of clicks. 

As @David G mentioned, first you need to check if auto-tagging is turned on and if it works. Here are the most common auto tagging issues and troubleshooting https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2938246?hl=en

Also, I would verify your GA tag setup, to make sure that the code implemented correctly. You may use Google Tag assistant (it's a Chrome browser extension) which allows you to see tag status and errors if you have any. I briefly reviewed the tags on your websites and saw an alert that Google tag assistant could not find a Google Analytics Snippet on the page.

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 10.12.05 PM.png

For me, it turns out to be a server setting related issue which causes the redirect. 

By the way, https://hiddendoorstore.com is frozen, not sure if you are aware of it.

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 10.05.05 PM.png

Regards,
Eva

Re: Lots of Clicks - 0 Sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you @Eva and @David G for trying to help!

As I started working on testing if the Auto tagging is working (it is turned on) I noticed something else:

not hits.PNG

I'm not sure about the No hits since I do get hits. But what I'm wondering is that my Adwords are set to forward to WWW. while my actual website is NON www. Could that be the problem? When Adwords sends it traffic it switches it to the non WWW version, thus removing the gclid?

Eva Rising Star
Rising Star
# 5
Eva Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi @Jon H

That can be an issue, 

Redirects can strip your URL tracking. If this is the case missing traffic can be found as organic or direct. 

Regards,
Eva

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Jon H,

A redirect is definitely causing problems.

No matter if I visit the www or non-www version, the query string is being dropped.

I don't see anything in the Javascript doing this, so it must be a server-side redirect. How you fix it depends on the platform.

You're using WordPress with a path translator. I don't know if that's involved as I don't use our WP that way. It may also involve a WP cache plug-in. If you have a caching plug-in contact the developers for help. Otherwise, ask your web developer. If you are the web developer, a bit of research is probably required.

That's about all I can tell from here.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, the redirect will cause an issue.

It looks like you need change your final urls.

For the hiddenpassageway site use http://hiddenpassageway.com

For the other use https://hiddendoorstore.com/